TEMPLE OF PIETY ON EAST SIDE OF MOON POND

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1150613
Date first listed:
06-Mar-1967
Date of most recent amendment:
11-Jun-1986
Statutory Address:
TEMPLE OF PIETY ON EAST SIDE OF MOON POND

Map

Ordnance survey map of TEMPLE OF PIETY ON EAST SIDE OF MOON POND
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1150613 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 14:44:01.

Location

Statutory Address:
TEMPLE OF PIETY ON EAST SIDE OF MOON POND

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
North Yorkshire
District:
Harrogate (District Authority)
Parish:
Lindrick with Studley Royal and Fountains
National Grid Reference:
SE 28089 68786

Details

SE 2868 LINDRICK WITH STUDLEY STUDLEY PARK ROYAL AND FOUNTAINS

9/79 Temple of Piety on east side of Moon Pond (formerly 6.3.67 listed as Temple of Piety)

GV I

Garden building. Completed by 1742; plasterwork completed 1748,restored c1980. By Robert Doe with plasterwork by Cortèse for John Aislabie to a design probably supplied by Lord Burlington. Ashlar and rendered brick, Westmorland slate roof with broad lead verges. A perfectly proportioned temple with deep portico of 6 Doric columns on a gritstone pavement supporting entablature and pediment with pedestal. Central 6-panel double door in architrave with mask of a satyr on the keystone. Flanking pairs of shuttered windows with architraves; recessed panels above. Rear: grey brick casing dating from part restoration before 1966. Left and right returns: central 4-panel door in eared surround with triple keystone. Interior: portico ceiling - Doric frieze of bucrania; 3-panels richly detailed with central rose and leaf motifs. Inner room - rear wall has circular framed bas relief of captive soldier suckled by his daughter, flanked by gilded swags. Ceiling - richly decorated with a fretted frame enclosing an oval panel with Chinese masks in the spandrel and central scrolled motif. The original dedication was to Jupiter and the design is based on Antonio Labaco's reconstruction of a Roman temple. The only source of information on the original model was in the possession of Lord Burlington, Lord Lieutenant for the North and West Ridings from 1714 whose deputy John Aislabie was. Aislabie must have had close personal contact with Lord Burlington, probably resulting in the latter's involvement with this temple design. William Aislabie rededicated the temple after the death of his father in 1742 and the plasterwork dates from that time. A large bust of Jupiter was recorded over the fireplace in 1740 but has disappeared. A fireplace survived into the C19 (Walker). The building is the most important feature of the water garden, standing on earthern terraces and reflected in the Moon Pond following the piano nobile style of eg Chiswick House by Lord Burlington (1725). G Beard, Studley Royal, Country Life, 1961. W T C Walker, personal communication.

Listing NGR: SE2808968786

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
331083
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Country Life' in 9 March, (1961)
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 32 North Yorkshire,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Aug 2006
Reference: IOE01/15659/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Les Waby. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].