- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- NEWBURGH PRIORY
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1150725 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 13-Oct-2019 at 22:10:01.
- Statutory Address:
- NEWBURGH PRIORY
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- North Yorkshire
- Hambleton (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SE 54279 76476
NEWBURGH NEWBURGH PARK
SE 57 NW
2/55 Newburgh Priory
Country house. C16, c.1600, C18 of various builds, restored c.1960. For the Bellasis, Fauconberg and Wombwell families, the most important work by and for the 4th Viscount Fauconberg 1725-45. Sandstone, partly rubble, partly dressed; pantile, plain tile, stone slate and Westmorland slate roofs. Irregular plan, basically 3 south ranges with kitchen wing to rear left of central range, shell of gallery block recessed to rear right, and lesser ranges to rear left, the first forming entrance to kitchen courtyard, the second returning around it. South range, centre: C16 coursed rubble, pantile roof; 3 storeys, 5 bays; plinth; ground and second floors have c.1600 small-paned 2-light mullion windows with arched heads to lights and sunk spandrels, first-floor larger similar 3-light windows; blocked C16 chamfered vents below; classical string, ashlar parapet, lead rainwater pipes. Right, extruded 3-storey porch of c.1600: ashlar; Tuscan columns on ground floor, the entablature interrupted by round- arched entrance; matching inner doorway with part-glazed door; small-paned 4-light mullion windows, those on top floor taller; Tonic and Corinthian orders to first and second floors respectively; strapwork keystone in centre of top entablature; Jacobean finials. Single columns, matching doorway and 3-light windows on left return. Projecting right range dated 1745; ashlar. Westmorland slate roofs. 2 taller storeys, 3 bays, plinth; central leaved part-glazed door in architrave with pulvinated frieze and pediment on brackets; sash window with glazing bars in eared architrave above. Projecting first and third bays have segmental bows each with 3 windows on each floor, 15-pane sashes on ground floor, sashes with glazing bars on first floor; first-floor band interrupted in corners. Continuous cyma reversa cornice; parapet with blind panels above win- dows and central coat of arms; classical urns to right of each bow. Left return pecked ashlar; 2 sash windows with glazing bars on first floor, also stone carved with Prince of Wales' feathers and date 1877. Right return has 3 bays plus narrow round-headed lights to corridor, sash windows with glazing bars, of 15 panes on first floor, and dated rainwater head; affected by a fire in 1957 and refitted. Left range projects: added by 4th Viscount 1727-36; reused coursed sandstone with ashlar dressings, Westmorland slate roof. 2 storeys, 7 bays, plinth, rusticated quoins; windows, of 4 panes on ground floor, 8 panes on first floor, have projecting ashlar surrounds with small keystones. Cyma reversa cornice, hipped roof; ashlar ridge stacks at intervals. Left forms entrance to kitchen courtyard: 2 storeys, 2:3:1:3:2 bays; ends project slightly and are quoined. Plinth; windows as on south side; centre bay has full-height round-arched carriageway with alternately rusticated raised voussoirs and panel- led leaved doors. Cyma reversa cornice, hipped stone slate roof; central cupola above clock tower flanked by ridge stacks, also stacks at junctions of end sec- tions. Rear (east) side has coat of arms on keystone of central arch, flanked by matching arches to coach houses in ashlar with imposts and leaved board doors, with 4-pane oculi in ashlar surrounds above, and large stable doors beyond with sash windows of various sizes in ashlar surrounds above and to right. Entrance range to kitchen courtyard returns on north side as brewhouse: north side 2 storeys, 2:3:2 bays the end pairs projecting slightly; each has board door, sash window with glazing bars and 2 first-floor oculi; centre has 3 full-height bricked-up keyed round arches with banded piers; hipped stone slate roof being relaid at time of Resurvey; courtyard elevation of 5 bays on ground floor has central leaved door in round-arched ashlar surround with imposts and keystone, flanked by 20-pane sash windows, and with 8-panel door, all in ashlar surrounds. First-floor 12-pane fixed lights in ashlar surrounds; roof hipped to right. Gallery block at north-east corner dated 1735 but incor- porating C16 and earlier material; pecked ashlar, roofless at time of resurvey; L-shaped plan; 2 storeys; east elevation 11 bays having plinth, 9-pane segmental-arched basement windows, tall narrow keyed first-floor window open- ings, cornice and parapet matching south-east range; south return of 3 matching bays; north return has altered C17 openings, James I and Bellasis coats of arms and tall cornices stacks rising from parapet; west elevation has 3 doorways, 1 of them Tudor-arched, 2-light ground-floor and taller 3-light first-floor mullion windows, all with arched heads, and with medieval carved stones includ- ing grave covers. Inside is a 2-basin piscina with trefoiled head. Rear of south-east range pecked ashlar; 2 storeys, 1:5:1 bays, in first bay on each floor a shell niche with statue; 8-pane sash window with tripartite keystones except for 12-pane sashes to ground floor bays 3-5. Right, 3-storey ashlar porch has round-arched doorway with Ionic pilasters and entablature; first-floor coat of arms with 3-light ovolo-mullion window above; entablature; balustraded parapet with strapwork flanking pedimented niche with bust. Rear of south-west range has similar fenestration to front, with 2 coats of arms on 2nd floor, stone slate roof. Returning to right, kitchen wing dated 1767; ashlar plain tile roof; single storey, 4 bays; pointed-arched hollow-chamfered 3-light windows with segmental-arched heads to lights, intersecting tracery above; date painted in centre between. Band; panelled parapet with central coat of arms. Rear elevation to kitchen courtyard is of earlier date, with massive stepped chimney truncated at top, and with bell below cover, bell said to be dated 1729 (VCH); plain C18 doorway in centre of chimney; to left of stack, lead rainwater head dated 1732. Interior: (a) on first floor of south-west range, Drawing Room with fine early C18 plasterwork by Cortese, overmantel with cartouche, side panels with fruit drops, ceiling divided into 3, the central panel coved, the outer ones with shallow elliptical domes, all richly decorated. (b) On north side of central south range, porter's hall has C17 panelling removed from Coxwold Grammar School (qv Old Hall) with names carved on it of old boys, including that of architect William Wakefield, who probably had some hand in alterations and new estate buildings at Newburgh, chamfered first-floor beams in irregular H-pattern on carved corbels, brick floor. (c) On north side of first floor of some block, Black Gallery with C17 panelling; Ionic fluted pilasters, and broken pediment above fireplace. (d) On south side of (c), Justices' Room, with bolection panelling and modillion cornice. (e) Next east of (d), the Small Study, with C17 leather panelling. (f) At east end of central south range. Elizabethan screen to turned-baluster open-well oak staircase, above which, in attics formed c.1760 but not completed, is reputed tomb of Oliver Cromwell's body, his daughter Mary having married the 2nd Viscount Fauconberg. (g) On ground floor in south-east corner of central south range, the Small Drawing Room has 3 arched openings in east wall with delicate Ionic columns and good Cortese ceiling with musical instruments surrounded by flowers and foliage, and rich modillion cornice. (h) Across entrance passage from (g), the large Drawing Room, originally the Dining Room with pedimented door cases, good marble fire- place, fluted Ionic columns to window bay, and Ionic pilasters framing round- arched opening to serving recess with shell niches; bayleaf garland frieze and good Cortese ceiling. (i) At rear of south-east range, Banqueting Room with brown marble overmantel by Nicholas Stone, 1611, showing Mars, Diana and Venus; oak eared door cases richly carved, the fireplace flanked by Adam-style niches. (j) Kitchen has chamfered segmental-arched fireplaces flanking central chamfered triangular-headed doorway; kitchen range and spit in right-hand fireplace. John Cornforth, "Newburgh Priory, Yorkshire", Country Life March 7, 1974; VCH ii, pp 9-10.
Listing NGR: SE5431476475
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of York: North Riding, (1914)
'Country Life' in 7 March, (1974)
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 32 North Yorkshire,
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing