PORCH HOUSE AND FRONT RAILINGS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1150738
Date first listed:
09-Dec-1969
Date of most recent amendment:
15-Nov-1988
Statutory Address:
PORCH HOUSE AND FRONT RAILINGS, 68 AND 70, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of PORCH HOUSE AND FRONT RAILINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1150738 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Jul-2019 at 03:28:30.

Location

Statutory Address:
PORCH HOUSE AND FRONT RAILINGS, 68 AND 70, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
North Yorkshire
District:
Hambleton (District Authority)
Parish:
Northallerton
National Grid Reference:
SE 36786 94213

Details

SE 3694-3794 NORTHALLERTON HIGH STREET (east side) 6/8 Nos 68 and 70 (Porch House) and front railings 9.12.69 (formerly listed as No 71 (The Porch House)) GV II Old house at one time divided into 3, now 1 house; front railings. House has late C16 fabric, much altered in late C17, c1780 and 1844. For the Metcalfe family. Partly timber-framed. enclosed in brick, and brick roofs of pantiles dated 1781; C19 cast-iron railings. House: 2 storeys, 1:4 first floor windows. Left range a cross-wing rebuilt c1780; centre 2 windows are 1½ bays of timber-framed open hall of c1584, with floor inserted in late C17, altered in late C18; wing to rear right added in mid C17, altered in C18 and c1844; single-storey porch in centre replaces a 2- storey timber-framed porch which was dated 1674 and gave the house its name. Left range of c1780, taller and projecting forward: brick in Flemish bond; to right, 4-panel door below overlight with first arch; 2-storey canted bay window with pebble- dashed panels, sash windows with small panes; dentil eaves, hipped roof with ridge stack in centre of left return. Hall; brick in English garden wall bond; on both floors a 3-light side-sliding sash window, with flat arch to right; stack to right. Single-storey sandstone ashlar porch; probably of 1844; vertical panelled door, ogee-shaped lintel; coped gable with apex final; stone slat roof. Right range; C20 casement windows, smaller on first floor, all with flat arches; modillion eaves; roof hipped to right; wrought-iron lamp bracket at right corner. Right return; blocked ground-floor opening;band; first-floor side-sliding sash window; ridge stack. Railings to front of wrought iron on low ashlar wall the square section bars having spaer finials flanked by scrolls. Interior: hall has ingle beam, and late C19 cast iron kitchen range by R P Reay & co, Stockton on Tees; large C17 stop- chamfered beam to rear post has re-cut inscription; stop-chamfered thin joists; room to far right has reset timber, probably from porch, with raised characters '1674 WM AM'. On the first floor, the floorboards are butt-jointed, there are jowled posts, and 2 low curved tie-beams, one possibly from a smoke hood. Principal rafter roof trusses with halved apexes and two sets of through purlins. Left wing has front drawing room with moulded cornice, rear dining room with arched recess from previous staircase; first floor C18 fireplace. Raer right wing has no floor in it, the 2-storey space said to have been used as a solicitor's office. The railings in front of the house, probably of c1844, were necessary to protect the house when the cattle market wa sheld in the High Street; most houses has them but have lost them. When the house was being altered in 1844, a beam then exposed was said to be inscribed 'RM 1584 MM' (Richard ans Margaret Metcalf). In the porch gable was carved 'WM 1674 AM' (William and Anna Metcalfe (nee Marwood) - probably the piece of wood now inside. Their daughter Margaret married Daniel Lascelles, MP for Northallerton 1702. According to local tradition, King Charles I stayed here twice, in 1640 and again in February 1647. Mrs Anne Metcalfe went to live in York 1780-84 while the family home was repaired, and when, it seems, the thatched roof was replaced in pantile, as one tile has been found with the date 1781 and the maker's name, Watson of Thirsk. Royal Commission on Historical Monuments (England) has a report (copy in the NMR) which gives details of the fframing, including a first floor stud wall at the bhack of the hall not now visible. Rev J L Saywell, The History and Annals of Northallerton (1885),pp 70-75.



Listing NGR: SE3678394221

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
332802
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Saywell, Reverend J L , The History and Annals of Northallerton, (1885)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 31 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/00648/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Mark Snowdon. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].