MILL HILL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1150744

Date first listed: 24-Nov-1988

Statutory Address: MILL HILL, B1363

Map

Ordnance survey map of MILL HILL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1150744 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 12:14:41.

Location

Statutory Address: MILL HILL, B1363

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Hambleton (District Authority)

Parish: Brandsby-cum-Stearsby

National Grid Reference: SE 58956 72206

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRANSBY-CUM-STEARSBY B1363 SE 57 SE (east side, off) 6/2 - Mill Hill - II

House. c.1900 by Detmar Blow, for Fairfax Cholmeley, with early C20 alterations by Alfred Powell, and late C20 alterations by Martin Stancliffe. Random local sandstone, pantile roofs. Irregular L-shaped plan, 2 storeys and loft. The original Blow range faces south-west, and consisted on the ground floor of two coach houses with stabling and a library, these converted by Powell into a library; sitting-room and dining-room respectively, and an open 2-storey house- place with a gallery at the north-west end and a large fireplace on the north- east wall, the room having been divided below the gallery, and with first floor bedrooms above the stables and library. A single-storey kitchen range to the cast has-been demolished. Powell added on to the north-east of this main range a corridor, entered by a 2-storey canted entrance bay at the west end, with a spacious first-floor gallery above; also a north-west range at right angles with a central archway through to the kitchen courtyard, the archway flanked by a monument room tot he north, and service rooms to the south, with bedrooms and bathrooms above; this range has been discreetly altered to form an entrance hall, kitchen and granny flat. The windows have segmental arches and side- sliding sashes and casements [the owner did not give permission for a full description to be made, but it seems likely that little Blow detailing remains externally.] Interior: photographs in Country Life illustrate open hall with large fireplace and gallery. The house represented a statement of socialist principles held by the patron, the local squire. The squat tapering chimney stacks on this house and others in Brandsby village implies that the Cholmeleys engaged either Blow or Powell to do other work for them. Country Life 22 May 1915, pp.2, 4, 6.

Listing NGR: SE5895672206

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 332710

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Country Life' in 22 May, (1915), 2

End of official listing