CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1150750

Date first listed: 17-May-1960

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, TOWN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1150750 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 16:02:03.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, TOWN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Hambleton (District Authority)

Parish: Brandsby-cum-Stearsby

National Grid Reference: SE5984071939

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRANDSBY-CUM-STEARSBY TOWN STREET SE 57 SE (south side) 6/14 Church of All Saints 17.5.60 GV II*

Church. 1767-70 with addition of 1913. By Thomas Atkinson of York for Francis Cholmeley; restored by Temple Moore in 1905, porch by H Rutherford. Ashlar sandstone with herringbone tooling, stone slate roof. Nave, 'crossing' with tower, and chancel in one 3-bay range. South side: to left, added flat- roofed porch with vestry behind has leaved oak doors of 8 panels, in architrave, band below parapet, and 3 flat-headed windows in architraves to west side. Added white brick chimney near left corner of main range. Church: plinth; 3 round-arched windows, in centre with Gibbs surround and with corbels below sill; square corbels below cornice containing gutter; hipped roof with central tower with oculus and paired brackets to cornice, surmounted by cupola of 8 round- arched openings with three-quarter columns at the angles, Doric frieze, stone dome with ball finial and weather-vane. East end: Venetian window; below, mounted on wall, 6 memorial tablets to members of Wiley family. North side: as south, but the central window blind, the outer 2 with Gibbs surrounds. Interior: in porch, leaved 6-panel doors from inner vestibule in architrave; small font on fluted column; door of 2 fielded panels to vestry; stained-glass in west window by T Kempe; to right, original entrance to church, now with wrought-iron gate, in rich architrave surmounted by cornice on brackets. In the church, crossing laterally between nave and chancel, a tripartite groin vault supported on four Roman Doric columns; under the vault, oak pulpit of 1905 by Temple Moore; in chancel, Commandment Boards and hatchments of Cholmeley family; west gallery with front of fielded panels, supported on 2 fluted octagonal columns; a number of brass chandeliers. The VCH records an inscription in the dome 'This church built Anno Domini 1767 by Francis Cholmeley Esqre; Thomas Atkinson, Architect; Richard Scurr, Mason'. VCH ii, pp.103-104. Photos in NMR.

Listing NGR: SE5984071939

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 332722

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of York: North Riding, (1914), 103-104

End of official listing