CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1150758

Date first listed: 17-May-1960

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, VILLAGE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1150758 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 22:45:30.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, VILLAGE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Hambleton (District Authority)

Parish: Coxwold

National Park: NORTH YORK MOORS

National Grid Reference: SE 53304 77201

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

COXWOLD VILLAGE STREET SE 5277-5377 (south side) 9/38 Church of St Michael 17.5.60 GV I

Church. West Tower and nave with south porch, all of c1430, chancel rebuilt in 1774 by Thomas Atkinson. Ashlar sandstone, lead roofs. Perpendicular. Octago- nal tower of 3 storeys, nave of 5 bays with porch in 2nd bay, chancel of 3 bays. Tower: staircase turret in south angle; angle buttresses with gablets and detached square shafts above, set diagonally and linked to the tower by short flying buttresses, 3-light west window with cinque-cusping and Perpendicular tracery; south and west vents to ringing chamber; belfrey windows on each side have 2 lights, central transom and Perpendicular tracery; C18 clock on east side; between pinnacles of buttress shafts, delicate filigree tracery; weather vane in centre of tower roof. Porch: in 2nd nave bay; segmental-arched doorway with continuous mouldings of hollow chamfer and roll, with hood mould; solid parapets with Jacobean finials; on each side a chamfered slit vent; inside are wooden benches with hinged seats forming chests; some reused early medieval grave covers in walls; wall plate partly crested; old flat roof with crossed beams with painted carved boss at central joint, and some old joists; inner door of old lapped plank in pointed arch of continuous mouldings with hollow chamfers alternating with ogees, and hood mould with pattee crosses on stops; masons' marks on inner facet of doorway. Nave has plinth; between bays, buttresses carrying detached shafts with gargoyles; sill band; windows of 3-lights with Perpendicular tracery, segmental-pointed arches and hoodmoulds; crenellated parapets pierced with cusped openings and pinnacles, medieval grave cover propped up against 1st bay; Sterne tombstone (qv) in 4th day; blocked north doorway has Tudor arch, hollow chamfered and with shields in spandrels and hood mould, blocking has strapwork panel with crown above. Chancel in inferior stone; offset buttresses between bays; C19 priest's door in 1st bay; 2-light window of 1912 in 3rd bay; sacred monogram on shields in crenellated parapet; replaced 3-light east window; no windows on north side. Interior: Chancel arch of segmental shape, continuously moulded with double hollow chamfers; double- chamfered pointed arch to tower; piscina in south chapel has hollow-chamfered uncusped trefoil head; stoup inside south door has segmental-pointed arch; nave roof is flat and has 3 spine beams with painted carved bosses at junctions with tie beams; chancel roof of basket-arched beams with carved bosses at ridge junc- tions, and panels divided into 4, with bosses; windows have classical moulding to sills and medieval glass in tracery. West gallery on fluted columns; on west wall above gallery, traces of black lettering, and Wombwell hatchments. Monu- ments: in floor of nave central aisle, black marble slab with brass indents under glass to Sir John Manston d.1464; on north wall of chancel, large impres- sive monuments to Henry Belasyse d.1647 and his son Thomas, Earl Fauconberg d.1700, with white marble life-size figures with putti above bearing an earl's coronet, by John Nost; and a tombchest to William Belasyse d.1603 and his wife Margaret, with recumbent effigies in large classical entablature with painted strapwork, coats of arms and Latin texts, carved by Thomas Browne from Hazlewood stone; on south wall of chancel, monument to Thomas Vicount Fauconberg d.1632 and his wife Barbara d.1618, with 2 kneeling figures in large aedicule with Corinthian columns; and an imitation Gothic chantry-style monument to Henry, last Earl Fauconberg d.1802, and his wife Charlotte d.1825. The chancel has an unusual C18 altar rail of turned balusters projecting forward in U-shaped plan between the monuments; desk with reused traceried panels. In the nave, C18 pulpit with tester and reading desk; C18 pews with fielded-panel doors, in plan devised to face the parson by Lawrence Sterne, perpetual curate of Coxwold 1760-68; above the chancel arch, George II royal coat of arms flanked by Fauconberg arms. VCH ii,pp 21-23; also various guides on sale in the church.

Listing NGR: SE5329977201

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 332747

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of York: North Riding, (1914), 21-23

End of official listing