THE HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1150773
Date first listed:
05-May-1952
Date of most recent amendment:
30-Aug-1988
Statutory Address:
THE HALL, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1150773 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Oct-2019 at 21:36:39.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE HALL, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
North Yorkshire
District:
Hambleton (District Authority)
Parish:
Well
National Grid Reference:
SE 26763 82016

Details

WELL MAIN STREET SE 28 SE (north side, off) 5/42 The Hall (formerly listed as Well 5.5.52 Hall)

GV I

House. Early C14, C17 and c18. Rubblestone and ashlar, rendered with graduated stone slate roof. Plan: to left, original C14 hall house with vaulted undercroft, of 3 storeys, 2 bays by 3 bays; set back to right C18 three-storey, 4-bay wing. Quoins. To left-hand bay of C18 wing a 6-panel door with 2 top panels glazed. Bay to right and to far right have tripartite sashes with central 4-pane sashes. Above to these bays are sashes with glazing bars and above again are 6-pane sashes. Bay above door and to left of right bay have blind openings to each floor. 2 ridge stacks and end stack to right. Medieval house has two 16-pane 2-light side-sliding sashes to ground floor. First floor has 2 tall sashes with glazing bars and Gothick pointed-arched heads set in original C14 pointed-arched openings with continuous hoodmould. Second floor: central side-sliding sash with glazing bars. Hipped roof, side wall stack. Rear: medieval hall has deep moulded first-floor string course. To side is a thin blind chamfered rectangular opening to rear staircase. Interior: C18 wing has early C18 dogleg staircase with thick turned balusters, up to attic storey, probably reset. Medieval wing has 3-bay vaulted undercroft with chamfered ribs supported on round piers with octagonal capitals and moulded corbels. Moulded 4-centred arched fireplace to north. To east end is a tunnel between end wall and outside wall. This supports a staircase above, possibly original to the building. On the first floor C18 rooms were inserted where the large hall was. In the third storey can be seen the heads of the two C13 windows. On the wall of the right return can be seen a blocked C13 window similar to the other two but complete with its central mullion and tracery in the head of the window. The roof trusses to this part are C17. The hall probably dates from 1342, when a Hospital of St Richard was founded at Well. It was probably housed in the building until the present almshouses were built in 1758.

Listing NGR: SE2676382015

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
332673
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Mar 2003
Reference: IOE01/10192/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr K. Paver. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].