SMEATON MANOR

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1150873
Date first listed:
29-Jan-1953
Statutory Address:
SMEATON MANOR, EAST COWTON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of SMEATON MANOR
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1150873 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-May-2019 at 17:21:53.

Location

Statutory Address:
SMEATON MANOR, EAST COWTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
North Yorkshire
District:
Hambleton (District Authority)
Parish:
Great Smeaton
National Grid Reference:
NZ 33913 04613

Details

NZ 30 SW GREAT SMEATON EAST COWTON ROAD (north side, off)

6/36 29.1.53 Smeaton Manor

GV II

Small country house. 1875-8. By Philip Webb for Major Percy Godman. Red brick in Flemish bond, pantile roof. Main block: 2 storeys plus attics, 5 bays, to either side 1 bay gabled wings, also 2 storeys plus attics. Main, garden front to south. (Door to north side.) Ground-floor bays break slightly forward with pantile roof. All openings are below wide segmental arches. Those to either side of centre are set back and blind. Outer and central bays have two 8-pane sashes, with brick sills, divided by central brick mullions. Herringbone brickwork filling the arches above. First floor: sashes with glazing bars flanked by brick pilasters. Moulded cornice, slightly recessed over sashes and advanced over pilasters. Openings are flanked by areas of blank walling to either corner. Oversailing eaves, large hipped roof with belled eaves. 3 flat-headed dormers with 2 sash windows to each dormer. 2 ridge stacks. North side: central brick porch with 6-panel door in quoined moulded ashlar architrave with cornice flanked by sashes in raised brick surrounds with cogged dripmoulds. Above, sashes with glazing bars flanked by pilasters and dormers similar to south front. The wings break forward to either side. Segmentally-arched sashes with glazing bars, to each floor. Large brick kneelers, brick coping. Interior: the original Philip Webb interior has been destroyed, now there is poor Georgian type detailing. '

Listing NGR: NZ3391304613

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
332400
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].