CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1150888
Date first listed:
31-Mar-1970
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, CHESTER LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1150888 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2019 at 21:20:22.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, CHESTER LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
North Yorkshire
District:
Hambleton (District Authority)
Parish:
Kirby Sigston
National Grid Reference:
SE 41661 94668

Details

KIRBY SIGSTON CHESTER LANE SE 49 sw (east side, off) 4/14 Church of St Lawrence 31.3.70 - I Church. C12 nave, C13 chancel and north aisle, C18 tower, restoration and south porch added in 1893. Ashlar, coursed squared stone, graduated stone slate roof. Plan: west tower, 3-bay nave with south porch and north aisle and 3-bay chancel. Tower: 3 stages; plinth, bands between stages, plain rectangular belfry windows with latticed openings, eaves band, embattled parapet with obelisk pinnacles to each corner. Gabled south porch: chamfered pointed arch, stone coping; inner south door flat headed with C17 board door. Nave: to left a clasping pilaster buttress, to right an offset setback buttress. Left-hand bay has thin C13 lancet, to right is south porch, to its right are two C19 two-light pointed arched cusped windows with hoodmoulds. North aisle: offset angle buttresses to each end. To left-hand side a 3-light C19 window. Pointed 2-light west window. Chancel: south side; between bays offset angle buttresses. To left a small pointed arched opening. Central bay has similar opening, but reuses Norman round arch for head. Right-hand bay has a 2-light C17 flat-headed mullion window; 2 right-hand bays have continuous sill band. Moulded cornice. Plain parapet, gable cross. C19 east window: Perpendicular in style, 3 lights, pointed arch with hoodmould; to each side can be seen remains of C13 lancets. Below it is a small offset angle buttress. To north side of chancel is a blocked 2-bay arcade with octagonal columns and chamfered pointed arches. Capitals decorated with salamanders. Interior: 4-bay north arcade, 3 east bays have round columns, waterleaf capitals, round arches moulded with dogtooth decoration, that to west is smaller with a pointed arch. Similar chancel arch. 2-bay blocked north chancel arcade as described on the outside but interior has a hoodmould, the central stop has a head, those to each end have squatting griffins. Font: dated 1662, set on a fluted octagonal plinth, round moulded shaft, octagonal bowl with date and geometrical and flower patterns. Good baroque wall tablet to Thomas Lascelles, 1728, cartouche with putti heads, a skull, convex inscription plate. Effigy of a lady, early C14.

Listing NGR: SE4165494666

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
332446
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 May 2002
Reference: IOE01/04514/33
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Mark Snowdon. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].