CHURCH OF OUR LADY AND ST JAMES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1151051

Date first listed: 04-Dec-1986

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF OUR LADY AND ST JAMES, WEST STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF OUR LADY AND ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1151051 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2018 at 08:06:45.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF OUR LADY AND ST JAMES, WEST STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Barnsley (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 35410 03558

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WORSBROUGH WEST STREET SE30SE (north side)

2/108 Church of Our Lady and St. James GV II Church. 1902 by T. H. and F. Healey of Bradford, patron S. J. Cooper (Plan register, 1901; Kelly's Directory, 1912). Thinly-coursed sandstone, graduated Westmorland slate roof. 3-bay nave with south porch, narrower chancel with south tower in angle with nave, adjoining vestry on east. Nave: porch to bay 1 has double-chamfered arch with floral-stopped hoodmould, gable copings with cross. String course on right beneath windows of 3 : 2 and 1 lights, buttress between the first two. West window has buttress between 2 sets of 3 lancets with hoodmoulds; vesica. Tower: south priest's door with string course rising as hoodmould. Quoined slit windows beneath offset ashlar belfry stage having semi-octagonal corner piers and flanking 2-light trefoiled openings; continuous hoodmould. Short lead-covered spire with corner spirelets and turret at north-east corner. Gabled south vestry has ashlar panel with 3-light mullioned window; central light taller, transomed and cusped. Chancel windows of 2 and 1 lights, corbel table to ashlar-coped parapet. East window of 3 cusped lights divided by shafts, outer lights blind. East and west gable copings with crosses.

Interior: simple Gothic-Revival styled interior with marble font and wall paintings above chancel arch. Originally dedicated to St. James, now in Roman Catholic use, the Anglican congregation being accommodated at the Church of St. Thomas and St. James (q.v.). Adjoining buildings at east end not of special interest.

Worsbrough U.D.C. Plan Register 1901 plan 22 (held in Barnsley Local Studies Library).

Kelly's Directory, West Riding, 1912, vol 1, p996.

Listing NGR: SE3541003558

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 333984

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Kelly's Directory' in Yorkshire West Riding, , Vol. 1, (1912), 996

End of official listing