DUKE OF ARGYLL'S MONUMENT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1151064
Date first listed:
18-Mar-1968
Date of most recent amendment:
04-Dec-1986
Statutory Address:
DUKE OF ARGYLL'S MONUMENT, STAINBOROUGH PARK

Map

Ordnance survey map of DUKE OF ARGYLL'S MONUMENT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1151064 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2019 at 00:45:10.

Location

Statutory Address:
DUKE OF ARGYLL'S MONUMENT, STAINBOROUGH PARK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Barnsley (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Stainborough
National Grid Reference:
SE 32245 02420

Details

STAINBOROUGH STAINBOROUGH PARK SE30SW 1/41 Duke of Argyll's Monument (formerly listed as 18.3.68 Duke of Argyll's Monument Wentworth Castle) - II* Monumental column with statue. Dated 1744. By Joseph Bower (estate mason) for the 2nd Earl of Strafford in memory of the Duke of Argyll. Ashlar sandstone. Fluted Corinthian column set on pedestal and surmounted by a female statue. Moulded base; square die inscribed:

'TO THE MEMORY / OF HIS GRACE / JOHN DUKE OF ARGYLL / AND GREENWICH / who died October ye 4th 1743 / This Collumn was Dedicated in / 1744'; cornice. Statue depicts a woman in flowing robes originally intended to represent Fame but subsequently variously described as Victory, Minerva or (in previous list description) Brittania. In April 1741, William, 2nd Earl of Strafford, married Lady Anne Campbell, daughter of the Duke of Argyll, whose death gave William the excuse for the tallest of his landscape ornaments.

J. Wilkinson, Worthies, Families and Celebrities of Barnsley and the District, 1883, p450.

Listing NGR: SE3224502420

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
333916
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Wilkinson, J , Worthies Families and Celebrities of Barnsley and the District, (1883), 450

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Sep 2007
Reference: IOE01/16884/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Keeble. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].