STAINBOROUGH CASTLE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1151069

Date first listed: 18-Mar-1968

Statutory Address: STAINBOROUGH CASTLE, WENTWORTH CASTLE

Map

Ordnance survey map of STAINBOROUGH CASTLE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1151069 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 21:30:30.

Location

Statutory Address: STAINBOROUGH CASTLE, WENTWORTH CASTLE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Barnsley (Metropolitan Authority)

Parish: Stainborough

National Grid Reference: SE 31580 03047

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STAINBOROUGH WENTWORTH CASTLE SE30SW 1/50 Stainborough Castle 18.3.68 - II* Gothick folly. 1728-30 for Thomas Wentworth, 1st Earl of Strafford. Coursed, dressed sandstone, ashlar dressings. Roughly-circular curtain wall with 4 square guard towers and with large gatehouse on east side with archway originally beneath 4 circular turrets of which 2 remain. Remaining gatehouse towers have offset buttresses and round-headed openings beneath deep band, round-headed lights on each floor above. Wall linking towers has tall, rusticated, round-arched doorway with concave reveals, impost band and keystone; 2nd floor band. Inner tower incomplete above 4th storey; link wall and outer tower are embattled. Guard towers: projecting sills to round-headed, ground-floor lights, quatrefoils beneath embattled parapets. Much of curtain wall reconstructed and with embattlements. Important as the 2nd Gothick castle in England after Lord Bathurst's "King Alfred's Hall" in Oakley Wood, Cirencester. Built on hill fort site and formed climax of the 1st Earl's garden layout. The towers were supposedly named after his 4 children; Anne, Harriet, Lucy and William. The building was already in disrepair by 1755 when John Platt of Rotherham was engaged to rebuild part of the gatehouse. Again undergoing reconstruction at time of resurvey.

J. E. Humphrey, 'A Prospect of Stainborough', unpub. thesis, Sheffield, 1982, pp334-5 also appendix 27.

Listing NGR: SE3158003047

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 333925

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 37 South Yorkshire,

End of official listing