1-3, Distillery Side

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1151089
Date first listed:
21-Apr-1986
Statutory Address:
1-3, Distillery Side, Elsecar, Barnsley, S74 8HN

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1151089.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Jan-2021 at 14:57:54.

Location

Statutory Address:
1-3, Distillery Side, Elsecar, Barnsley, S74 8HN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Barnsley (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SK3871699927

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Enhancement on 23/10/2020

SK39NE 5/5

HOYLAND NETHER Elsecar DISTILLERY SIDE (east side) Nos 1-3 (consec)

21.4.86

GV II Cottages, formerly National School. 1836 for the Fitzwilliam estate, altered. Unoccupied at the time of the Listing resurvey in 1986, subsequently renovated for domestic use.

MATERIALS: coursed, squared sandstone, stone slate roof . EXTERIOR: of three bays and two storeys over a partial basement. The two left-hand (northern) bays have a basement doorway with an ashlar surround, blocked at the time of the resurvey, now enclosed in a porch. This is flanked by windows with ashlar surrounds and deep lintels. These windows, also blocked at the time of the resurvey, now have small-paned casements. Similar renewed joinery is used for the windows to the two floors above, the openings having projecting sills and deep lintels. The right-hand (southern) bay now has similar joinery, but formerly had a two-light horizontally-sliding sash with glazing bars to the right of each floor. To the left, at each mid-floor height, there are small casement windows, with a pair upper-most. The roof has end-stacks and one ridge-stack to the left (north) of centre, these being stone-built with tabling. The rear elevation, at the time of the resurvey, had a rewindowed two-storey façade with paired, boarded doorways between two windows on left (south), and a single doorway to the right (north) with a window beyond; all of the windows then being three-light iron casements with concrete sills and lintels.

HISTORICAL CONTEXT: from the late C18, Elsecar was the industrial village of the Earls Fitzwilliam, whose seat of Wentworth Woodhouse lies nearby. At Elsecar they invested in coal mining and iron working, erecting industrial buildings along with good quality workers’ housing and a range of other urban facilities including a church and school, all within what had been an agricultural landscape. The survival of many of these buildings makes Elsecar an important and significant place, telling the story of three centuries of coal mining, Christian paternalism, and industrial boom and decline. The building now forming numbers 1-3 was labelled as ‘National School’ on the 1:10560 Ordnance Survey map surveyed in 1849-1850. National Schools were the precursors of Church of England primary schools and this example is thought to have been paid for by the Fifth Earl Fitzwilliam (1786-1857) who supported the opening of a new larger school in 1852 adjacent to the church as access to the original school had become difficult following the opening of the adjacent railway line.

The cottages gained their name from a tar distillery which operated close by from 1814-1818. The cottages have group value with the adjacent Elsecar New Colliery, with its Newcomen Engine House, which is a Scheduled Monument.

Listing NGR: SK3871699927

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
333877
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Rimmer, J, Went, D, Jessop, L, The Village of Elsecar, South Yorkshire: Historic Area Assessment. Historic England Research Report 06-2019, (2019)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 May 2007
Reference: IOE01/16195/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Clayton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].