Fitzwilliam Lodge

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1151092
Date first listed:
23-Apr-1974
Date of most recent amendment:
04-Dec-1986
Statutory Address:
Fitzwilliam Lodge, Fitzwilliam Street, Elsecar, Barnsley, S74 8EZ

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1151092.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Oct-2020 at 16:31:07.

Location

Statutory Address:
Fitzwilliam Lodge, Fitzwilliam Street, Elsecar, Barnsley, S74 8EZ

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Barnsley (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 38376 99963

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Enhancement on 22/10/2020

SK39NE 5/8

HOYLAND NETHER Elsecar FITZWILLIAM STREET (north-east side), Fitzwilliam Lodge

(formerly listed as Miners' Lodging House)

23.4.74

GV II Miners' lodging house now 14 dwellings. Built 1853 for the Fitzwilliam estate, restored 1982.

MATERIALS: deeply-coursed, dressed sandstone, Welsh slate roof.

EXTERIOR: the building is of three storeys above a basement. The principal elevation has a symmetrical seven-bay frontage, the central three bays being pedimented and slightly broken forward. Set back to the right there is a two-storey, single-bay addition and to the rear there is a two-storey wing connected to the main block by a lower link block. The principal elevation has a central doorway with a pair of fielded-panel doors beneath a fanlight with radial glazing bars, the doorway and fanlight being set within an ashlar surround that has moulded imposts, archivolt, paterae and a slight cornice. The cornice is set at the level of a first-floor band that runs around the building, a similar band linking the first-floor window sills above. The windows are sashes with glazing bars. The windows to the ground-floor have sunken apron panels; those to the second-floor have projecting sills. There is an eaves cornice and the gables are coped. The central pediment has a glazed oculus window. The roof retains two gable and two ridge-stacks, all being tabled. The gable ends of the building are of three bays, which have bands and cornice, the central bays having doubled sashes, the gables being pedimented framing a central oculus.

INTERIOR: includes a cantilevered stone staircase with an iron balustrade.

HISTORICAL CONTEXT: from the late C18, Elsecar was the industrial village of the Earls Fitzwilliam, whose seat of Wentworth Woodhouse lies nearby. At Elsecar they invested in coal mining and iron working, erecting industrial buildings along with good quality workers’ housing and a range of other urban facilities including a church and school, all within what had been an agricultural landscape. The survival of many of these buildings makes Elsecar an important and significant place, telling the story of three centuries of coal mining, Christian paternalism, and industrial boom and decline. The Miners’ Lodging House was commissioned by the fifth Earl Fitzwilliam (1786-1857) to provide lodgings for unmarried miners, the rear wing originally being a subscription reading room for the village. It has been described as the most impressive element of the housing provided for the Fitzwilliam mining village. It was admirably restored by a housing association in 1982 following a long period of dereliction.

Listing NGR: SK3837699963

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
333880
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Rimmer, J, Went, D, Jessop, L, The Village of Elsecar, South Yorkshire: Historic Area Assessment. Historic England Research Report 06-2019, (2019)
Other
Buildings at Risk South Yorkshire, (1984)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/04204/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Kril. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].