Elsecar Mill

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1151095
Date first listed:
23-Apr-1974
Statutory Address:
Elsecar Mill, Wath Road, Elsecar, Barnsley, S74 8HW

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1151095.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2021 at 16:12:56.

Location

Statutory Address:
Elsecar Mill, Wath Road, Elsecar, Barnsley, S74 8HW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Barnsley (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SE 38756 00207

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Enhancement on 23/10/2020

SE30SE 2/18

HOYLAND NETHER Elsecar WATH ROAD (east side) Elsecar Mill

23.4.74

II

Flour mill, now business premises, 1842 for the Fitzwilliam estate.

MATERIALS: Coursed, hammer-dressed sandstone, Welsh slate roof.

EXTERIOR: of three storeys and six bays above a half-basement with a single-storey addition to the front right (south-west). The third bay from the north has an enlarged doorway, the fifth bay has a panelled door set in an ashlar surround. To the third bay on the first-floor there is a round-arched loading door with a gabled wooden gantry above to the second-floor. Windows, boarded at time of resurvey in the 1980s, have projecting sills and plain lintels. There are brick stacks to the south gable set central to the roof slopes, with a truncated stone chimney to rear-left (north-east) corner. The low addition to the south west has two windows to the front gable.

INTERIOR: much renewed but retains original cast-iron stanchions and principal ceiling beams. The roof retains exposed pattern-book king-post trusses.

HISTORICAL CONTEXT: from the late C18, Elsecar was the industrial village of the Earls Fitzwilliam, whose seat of Wentworth Woodhouse lies nearby. At Elsecar they invested in coal mining and iron working, erecting industrial buildings along with good quality workers’ housing and a range of other urban facilities including a church and school, all within what had been an agricultural landscape. The survival of many of these buildings makes Elsecar an important and significant place, telling the story of three centuries of coal mining, Christian paternalism, and industrial boom and decline. The flour mill, one of the industrial developments for the Fifth Earl Fitzwilliam (1786-1857) was originally steam-powered.

Listing NGR: SE3875600207

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
333892
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Clayton, A K , Hoyland Nether, (1974), 38

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/04204/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Kril. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].