COURT HOUSE BUILDING

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1151122

Date first listed: 27-Feb-1975

Statutory Address: COURT HOUSE BUILDING, REGENT STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of COURT HOUSE BUILDING
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1151122 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 18:48:45.

Location

Statutory Address: COURT HOUSE BUILDING, REGENT STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Barnsley (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 34625 06580

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE30NW BARNSLEY REGENT STREET (north side), Barnsley 3/62 Court House 27.2.75 Building GV II Court House building. 1861 by Reeves. Ashlar. Welsh slate roof. Two storeys and attic. Italianate style. 6 x 5 bays, on corner site. Near- symmetrical facade has rusticated ground floor and with vermiculated quoins. Doorway to 1st and 4th bays, the latter with consoles supporting a break in the ground-floor cornice surmounted by the Royal coat of arms. Ground-floor openings all have segmental heads with elongated vermiculated keystones and plain raised architraves. Sash windows with marginal glazing. Tall round- arched lst-floor windows are archivolted and have elongated vermiculated keystones and spandrels. Vermiculated panels to the piers between the windows. Sunken aprons and dentilled sills. 6-light casements with circular wooden tracery to the window heads. Deep frieze with paired consoles supporting the heavy modillioned eaves cornice. Between the consoles are small attic windows. Hipped roof. Ornamental ashlar stacks with vermiculated panels, cornices and caps. The right return elevation is similar with 2 blind ground-floor windows.

Interior: Staircase with decorative iron balusters and ramped wooden handrail. lst-floor hall with round-arched bays marked by pilasters and panelled ceiling. The building was converted to use as a railway station building in 1870 and remained as such until 1962.

N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, 1967.

Listing NGR: SE3462506580

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 333751

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Radcliffe, E, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding, (1967)

End of official listing