Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1151127.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Nov-2021 at 00:02:32.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Barnsley (Metropolitan Authority)
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SE 36423 11243


SE31SE ROYSTON CHURCH STREET (north side), Royston 2/79 Church of St. John the Baptist I

Church. Predominantly C15 in three building phases, but incorporating work of C14 which remains in the walling of the north nave and chancel aisles. Restored 1867-9 by Pearson. Very deeply-coursed ashlar. Stone slate roof. West tower, 4-bay nave, 3-bay chancel both with buttressed lean-to aisles, south porch. Perpendicular style. Square 4-stage tower with diagonal buttresses. Moulded west doorway with 3-light window above. The third stage has a 5-sided oriel window with cusped lights which have shields below, and a pyramidal roof. Louvred, transomed belfry openings. Gargoyles, crenellated parapet and crocketed pinnacles. Nave: clerestorey bays are divided by slender buttresses which are diagonally-set to bays 2 and 4, bay 1 being slightly later. 2-light cusped clerestorey windows with arched heads and hoodmoulds linked by a band. Gargoyles, crenellated parapet and crocketed pinnacles. 3-light south aisle windows with cusped lights and shallow-arched heads. 2-light north aisle windows with cusped Y-tracery. 3-light chancel aisle windows with Perpendicular tracery. 4-light east window with Decorated flamboyant tracery probably a C19 restoration.

Interior: 4-bay north and south arcade, bay 1 being cut out of solid wall, the rest on 8-sided lozenge-shaped piers and with cambered arches. 3-bay north chancel arcade, 2-bay south chancel arcade on octagonal piers with rosette decoration to the capitals. Spiral stair at west end of north aisle and to earlier west tower.

Excellent panelled roof to nave and aisles, with moulded beams and decorative bosses. Chancel roof panelled but plain with brattished wall plate. Chapel roofs panelled with bosses. Decorated, ogee-headed vestry door. Cusped, arched piscina. Low, brattished, panelled oak screen between chancel and south chapel. Similar screen to west of south chapel. Rood stair at east end of north aisle. Perpendicular octagonal font with traceried panelled sides. Excellent monument to Sandfoord (Sandford) Nevile 1672 of Chevet: a black marble slab on a stone base with iron railings, 4 white marble putti support a further black marble slab which bears the inscription. Near the south door is a Rococo wall memorial to Henry Broadhead, 1754 consisting of a black obelisk ground with a white marble putto on an inscribed cartouche with floral and foliage support; below are 3 cherubs heads with wings.

N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, 1967.

P. F. Ryder, Report for South Yorkshire Archaeology Service, January/February 1984.

Rev. J. G. H. Wilkinson, A Short Guide to the Parish Church of Royston, 1981.

B. Kemp, English Church Monuments, 1980.

Listing NGR: SE3642611242


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Kemp, B, English Church Monuments, (1980)
Pevsner, N, Radcliffe, E, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding, (1967)
Wilkinson, J G H , A Short Guide to the Parish Church of Royston, (1981)
'South Yorkshire Archaeological Service Report' in January/February, (1984)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Jul 2005
Reference: IOE01/14593/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr W. Robin Hodges. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].