CHURCH OF ST HELEN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1151168
Date first listed:
23-Aug-1963
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST HELEN, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST HELEN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1151168 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2019 at 22:23:22.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST HELEN, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Barnsley (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 45008 05616

Details

SE40NE DEARNE HIGH STREET (north side), Thurnscoe

4/34 Church of St. Helen

23.8.63 II

Church. Tower 1729, otherwise late C19, nave dated 1887, some Gothic fragments. Limestone ashlar tower, C19 work in rock-faced sandstone, red tile roofs, stone slates to chancel. West tower, 4-bay nave with south porch, lower 2-bay chancel with separately- roofed south chapel. Tower: plinth, rusticated quoins, band to each stage. Round-headed west window with sill blocks, architrave, moulded imposts and keystone. Within the opening, set back, a Decorated 3-light window. Blind keyed oculus to 2nd stage, similar openings to each return louvred. Bell openings louvred and in surrounds as west window. Cornice breaking forward at corners, parapet with moulded coping. Nave: chamfered plinth. Porch to bay 1. Central offset buttress with, to left, 1 pair of lancets with shared hoodmould and, to right, 2 similar paired lights. Chamfered band to eaves, moulded kneelers and ashlar gable copings. South chapel: set forward. Central and angle buttresses, windows as nave but with cusped lights and animals carved on hoodmould stops. Coved eaves course, gables as nave. East window: 3 cusped lancets, central light taller, linked hoodmoulds. Interior: narrow single-chamfered tower arch. Nave windows have inner surrounds with detached octagonal colonnettes between cusped-headed openings with quatrefoil above. Chancel: sunken chantry chapel, now vestry, has 2-bay arcade with cylindrical column, carved capital, responds and hoodmould to easternmost arch with carved head stops. Fragments of medieval work set in chapel walls. Attractive window to St. Cecilia dated 1885 at north-east end of chancel. Unusual C18 font: wooden bowl with gadrooned base and acanthus-carved cover set on short cylindrical stone column. Rood screen: in Gothic style, probably C19 but may include earlier work particularly the well-carved figures of Christ, the Virgin Mary and St. John.

Listing NGR: SE4500805616

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
333662
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Mar 2002
Reference: IOE01/05848/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Kril. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].