MONK BRETTON PRIORY REMAINS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1151178
Date first listed:
06-Feb-1952
Statutory Address:
MONK BRETTON PRIORY REMAINS, ABBEY LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of MONK BRETTON PRIORY REMAINS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1151178 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 20:02:53.

Location

Statutory Address:
MONK BRETTON PRIORY REMAINS, ABBEY LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Barnsley (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 37327 06463

Details

SOUTH YORKSHIRE BARNSLEY 5095 SE30NE BARNSLEY ABBEY LANE (east side), 4/1 Cundy Cross 6.2.52 Monk Bretton Priory Remains GV I Monk Bretton Priory remains. C12- late C15. Coursed, squared rubble and ashlar. The complex consists of the church to the north with cloister to the south side of the nave. To the west of the cloister is a north-south range with a gatehouse to west of this. A north-south range to the east of the cloister and the refectory to the south with kitchens further south. To the south-east is the reredorter and guest house and to the east the separate infirmary. Most of the remains are only a few feet high and show the plan only, but the west range and gatehouse survive, in part, to two storeys. The church is mainly of later C12 date,the north and west walls rebuilt in the mid C14. The Cistercian type plan consists of a 4-bay aisled nave, north and south transepts each with 2 east chapels, and an aisless presbytery with C15 sacristy to south. The west range, mainly C14, altered in the C16, formerly the prior's lodgings with cellar below, and later a house, has, at north end lst-floor level a good fireplace with moulded jambs with capitals, crenellated mantel and tapering stone breast. West of this is a gateway with 2 cambered-headed entrances to north and south and the remains of timber studding on its west wall. Part of the south wall of the refectory stands with 2 tall, late C13 windows, of 2 and 3 lights, both with Geometric tracery. South of the reredorter is the well-preserved drainage system with splayed stone sides. A penstock controlled water, pumped from the priory mill ¼ mile away (q.v.), to flush the system.

The monastery of St. Mary Magdalen was founded c1154 for the Monks of the Order of Cluny and colonised from La Charité-sur-Loire. It became Benedictine in 1281. After the Dissolution in 1583 the priory passed through various hands until acquired by Barnsley Borough who, in 1932, placed the ruins in the care of the state. Scheduled Ancient Monument.

Dr. J. W. Walker, The Priory of St. Mary Magdalen, Yorkshire Archaeological Society, 1926.

Rose Graham and R. Gilyard-Beer, Monk Bretton Priory, Yorkshire. D. of E. Official Handbook, 1966.

N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, 1967.

Listing NGR: SE3731006529

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
333686
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Graham, Rose, Gilyard-Beer, R , Monk Bretton Priory Yorkshire, (1966)
Pevsner, N, Radcliffe, E, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding, (1967)
Walker, J W , The Priory of St. Mary Magdelen, (1926)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Aug 2004
Reference: IOE01/12996/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Jean Bickerstaffe. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].