HATFIELD MANOR HOUSE
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
- Statutory Address:
- HATFIELD MANOR HOUSE, MANOR ROAD
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1151589.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2020 at 11:33:10.
- Statutory Address:
- HATFIELD MANOR HOUSE, MANOR ROAD
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Doncaster (Metropolitan Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SE 66313 09331
HATFIELD MANOR ROAD
SE 6609 (SE 60 NE) (east side)
16/49 Hatfield Manor House
13.12.51 (formerly listed as
The Manor House)
Manor house. C12 hall remodelled and extended C16 and C17, the whole remodelled in the C18. Roughcast ashlar and brick, Welsh slate roof. Now T-shaped with C12 hall projecting by 2 bays to west of later north-south range, 2 and 3 storeys. South (entrance) front: 4-bay range to right has plinth and French window to bay 2 beneath C20 pantiled porch; other bays have sashes with glazing bars in ashlar surrounds with projecting sills. Eaves cornice to hipped roof with lateral stack on left and large ridge stack set back on right. C12 hall-block set back on left: exposed foundation with well-preserved chamfered plinth. On lent a large 4-pane casement with leaded lights in C18 flat-arched surround, similar surround to casement with glazing bars on right; between the windows an intact, infilled, C12 window; jambs of similar windows flank the right-hand casement. 1st floor: C12 floor band cut back to wall; 2 large sashes with glazing bars as over porch. Cornice and hipped roof as adjacent bays; ridge stack. Rear: C12 range on right has broad projection (formerly a lateral stack) and 4 ground-floor windows with ashlar surrounds. lst floor: to left of projection a large sash with glazing bars to stair window flanked on its left by remains of a C17 window itself cutting a C12 doorway; to right of projection a C16 lst-floor doorway (now window) with chamfered surround and triangular-headed lintel. Rear of wing on left has 2 doorways and horizontally-sliding sashes on 3 floors. Right return: 4 bays on left generally as front, no windows to ground-floor bays 1 and 2, blind surrounds over; blind rectangular window to 1st floor centre has chamfered surround. 2 bays set back on right have mostly blind surrounds, sash to ground-floor left. Left return: C12 hall-black has chamfered plinth stepping down at quoined door position (now a 2-light double-chamfered, mullioned window). Intact C12 window on right with chamfered, quoined surround and cusped head. 1st floor: string course cut back, C18 blind window on left. Interior: stone-flagged entrance hall with round-arched arcade on Doric columns and resited C16 fireplace with Tudor-arched lintel. Room to front right with fine late C18 wooden fireplace with gryphons, bukrania and anthemion motifs; contemporary iron firebasket with garlands; chamfered ashlar doorway on left now a display cupboard. Dining room adjacent has excellent late C17 panelling in 4 tiers with drops of carved fruit from an egg-and-dart enriched cornice and carved frieze; corniced chimneypiece with scrolls, carved rosettes, foliage and garlands of fruit. C12 range: corridor to rear with substantial remains of doorway at west end (as seen on left return). Adjacent room, formerly an Edwardian schoolroom, with fireplace, cupboards and ceiling beams of the period; end wall has deep embrasure to the C12 window (seen on left return). Adjacent room has exposed remains of 2 inner arches to the C12 windows seen from front. Wooden staircase in rear angle of plan is of c1800 with turned and fluted balusters; plaster wall panels and ceiling feature. 1st floor: corridor to rear of C12 block has fine, in situ, C16 fireplace with Tudor-arched lintel and herringbone-brick fireback. Room over entrance hall shows exposed quoins of a probably C13 tower that adjoined the C12 block, also part of a door head that linked the two. Some early C19 fireplaces in other 1st-floor rooms. Roof space shows part of a C16 cornice over the C12 range; C18 roof of hybrid construction.
History: traditionally regarded as on the site of King Edwin of Northumbria's palace. Hatfield was granted to the Warenne family c1070 and the house must have been built during their ownership prior to temporary seizure of the Warenne estates by Thomas of Lancaster in 1317. In 1336 Edward III's son, William of Hatfield was born here (he died in infancy and is buried in York Minster). The house reverted to the Crown in 1347 and, as a hunting lodge, its visitors included Edward Balliol (ex-King of Scotland); Elizabeth, Countess of Ulster, probably in the company of John of Gaunt and Geoffrey Chaucer (then a page). Thought to have seen visits by the Black prince in 1360 and Edmund Langley, Earl of Cambridge and Duke of York in 1381. Used by the Duke of Narfoll: in 1536 during negotiations over the Rising of the North and referred to by John Leland c1540 who noted that 'the log or manor place is but meanly builded of tymbar'. In 1628 granted by the Crown to Sir Cornelius Vermuyden, drainer of the lands around Hatfield; sold by him in 1630 to Sir Arthur Ingran in whose family it remained for several generations.
Extensive survey notes in South Yorkshire County Ancient Monuments and Sites Record, Sheffield, Primary Index No 443.
Listing NGR: SE6631309331
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing