CHURCH OF ST PETER
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST PETER
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1151675.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 20:12:56.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST PETER
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Doncaster (Metropolitan Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SE 48413 03211
6/7 Church of St. Peter 5.6.68
Church. C11-C12 lower tower, arcade of c1200, otherwise C14 and C15; restored 1869. Ashlar limestone, lead roofs. 3-stage west tower, 2-bay aisled nave with south porch, 2-bay chancel with north chapel. Decorated and Perpendicular tracery; embattled throughout. Tower: offset angle buttresses to earlier lower part. Recessed west window has 2 ogee-headed lights beneath segmental arch. Small round- headed window on south side. Offset beneath 2nd stage, clock on east side. C15 upper stage with offset and string course beneath transomed, 2-light belfry openings with continuous hoodmould. String course with corner gargoyles; parapet with pinnacled corner turrets. Recessed spirelet with crockets and weathervane. Nave: chamfered plinth, offset angle buttresses to aisle. Porch to bay 1 with pointed arch flanked by diagonal buttresses, chamfered transverse arches within. Decorated 3-light window to bay 2. String course beneath parapet. Clerestorey has square-headed windows of 2 cusped lights; parapet as aisle, east pinnacles. North aisle has blocked, quoined doorway to west of 2, pointed-arched, 3-light windows. North clerestorey windows of 3 pointed lights. Chancel: lower. Hooded priest's door flanked by restored 3-light window with reticulated tracery. Angle buttresses flank C19, 5-light, east window with geometrical tracery, east pinnacles. North chapel has blocked doorway with 4-centred arch and hoodmould; 2 windows to east as north aisle, hoodmoulds. Renewed pinnacles.
Interior: moulded, pointed tower arch. Double-chamfered arcades on cylindrical piers with octagonal capitals; broach-stopped base to north. Quadrant-moulded chancel arch. Gothic Revival arcade to north chapel with twin-shafted pier. Piscinas to nave and north chapel, reliquary niche to north aisle. Nave, south aisle and chancel roofs C15 with cambered tie beams and bosses. Nave has octagonal font with billets round base. Restoration date plaque: 1869 for John Hartop of Barnburgh Hall. Good Romanesque cross shaft near north aisle pier has acanthus carving and figures in high relief (Ryder, p103). Medieval parclose screen encloses chapel in south aisle, similar screen at east end of north aisle. North chapel has excellent early C14 wooden effigy of knight with heart in hands; now set within buttressed and canopied tomb to Sir Percival Cresacre (d.1477) with much Latin inscription. Wall monument to Vincent family on south wall of chapel, Thomas Vincent(d.1667),also brass to Anna Cresacre (d.1577) the ward and later daughter-in-law of Sir Thomas More. Brass in chancel to Alice (d.1716) wife of G. Mompesson.
Rev. W. J. Parker, The Cresacre Treasure: The Church and Village of Barnburgh, undated booklet.
P. F. Ryder, Saxon Churches in South Yorkshire, South Yorkshire County Council Archaeology Monograph, No 2, 1982.
Listing NGR: SE4841403212
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Parker, W J , The Cresacre Treasure, The Church and Village of Barnburgh
Ryder, P F, 'South Yorkshire County Archaeological Monograph' in Saxon Churches in South Yorkshire, , Vol. 2, (1982), 103
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing