CANNON HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1151805

Date first listed: 25-Feb-1952

Statutory Address: CANNON HALL, BARK HOUSE LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CANNON HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1151805 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 00:11:25.

Location

Statutory Address: CANNON HALL, BARK HOUSE LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Barnsley (Metropolitan Authority)

Parish: Cawthorne

National Grid Reference: SE 27217 08332

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 2708 CAWTHORNE BARK HOUSE LANE (North end, off Cawthorne)

9/3 Cannon Hall 25.2.52

GV II*

Large country house, now museum. Possibly late C17 in origin but heavily remodelled 1764-8 when single storey side wings were added. The C18 work by John Carr for John Spencer, the mason being John Marsden. The interior alterations in 1778 by John Carr i.e. the hall and dining room were stuccoed and the hall columns put in place. The side wings were heightened to two storeys in 1804 again by John Carr. The ballroom (north east wing) was added in 1890 to plans of Sir Walter Spencer Stanhope and the panelling and gallery completed by 1896. Restored 1965. Coursed dress sandstone with ashlar dressings. The symmetrical composition consists of a centre 3-storey block of 5 bays and slightly set back 2-storey side wings of 3 bays. Rusticated quoins. Sash windows in architrave surrounds, those to ground floor and 2nd floor of central block having pulvinated frieze and moulded cornice. The centre window has console brackets supporting the cornice and was once a doorway. The ground floor windows of the centre block extend to the ground and appear to have been altered and have sashes of 6 over 9 panes. Other sashes are mainly 12-pane, those to the shorter 2nd storey are of 6 panes and those to the first floor of the wings are of 3 over 6 panes. Moulded eaves cornice with balustraded parapet. Low, simple ashlar stacks set well back. The rear elevation is similar to the front but with a central, glazed Doric portico. The north-east wing projects to the left and is of 4 bays. Side elevations of the main house are of 3 bays.

Interior: The hall has Doric columns at rear with flanking pilasters. Good dog-leg stair at the rear of hall typical of the "York School". Excellent plaster ceiling in dining room of 1767, by James Henderson of York, has a centre rose, sinuous flowing foliage and musical instruments. The fireplace, of 1767, is of white and ochre marble with Ionic columns, full entablature and a central relief carving. The left room has an elaborate fireplace of 1767 from York with a C17 Dutch picture in the overmantle entitled "Still Life with Dead sane".

The house was owned by the Spencer and Spencer Stanhope families from the late C17 and was purchased by the County Borough of Barnsley in 1951. It was opened as a museum in 1957.

Barnsley MB Cannon Hall - official guide

Listing NGR: SE2721708332

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 334129

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 37 South Yorkshire,

End of official listing