CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1151867

Date first listed: 29-Mar-1968

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JAMES, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1151867 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 18:43:34.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JAMES, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Rotherham (Metropolitan Authority)

Parish: Ravenfield

National Grid Reference: SK 48587 95452

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

RAVENFIELD CHURCH LANE SK49NE (north end, off) 1/78 Church of St. James 29.3.68 II* Church. 1756. By John Carr for Mrs. Elizabeth Parkin of Ravenfield Hall (demolished). Ashlar sandstone, Welsh slate roof. 3-bay single cell with tower rising above west gable entrance and with apsidal east end. In Gothick style. West end: plinth. Nosed steps to central part flanked by pilasters with moulded plinths. Central panelled door in swept-shouldered architrave beneath consoled cornice; 2-light window over in raised ogee-headed surround set beneath pediment linking pilasters. Outer bays have corner pilasters and upswept coping with obelisk finial and scrolled brackets against the tower. Tower rises over entrance and has corner strips flanking west clock in shaped panel, ogee-headed 2-light belfry openings have Y-tracery with louvres; cornice with corner obelisks set round concave base to a ball-finialled spirelet. Sides of tower have cruciform slits in quatrefoil panels below the belfry stage. Nave: Y-traceried, 2-light, ogee-headed windows with shaped sills and raised, chamfered surrounds; cornice and coped parapet with corner obelisks. Apse: canted projection with east window as nave flanked by matching blind openings; hipped roof abuts coped east gable. Interior: 1806 plaque in lobby inscribed 'This Church was erected / by Mrs. ELIZABETH PARKIN / Lady of this Manor / in the Year 1756'. Staircase to west gallery with wreathed handrail and turned wooden balusters; fielded panelling to nave dado, gallery door and gallery balustrade which also have ogee-headed panels on the uprights; twisted-baluster communion rail. Other fittings of later date. Apse flanked by plaster reliefs of draped urns in the style of Carr. Monuments: south wall has flat-obelisk wall monument to Eliz. Parkin (d1766);C18 and C19 urns to Bosville and 0sborne families share its base. On north wall: panel by Fisher of York to Thos, Bosville (d1771) et al. has pelican on sarcophagus; to its right monument to George Westbie (d1685), an Ionic aedicule with broken segmental pediment. Hatchments and arms of George III over west gallery.



Listing NGR: SK4858795452

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 335953

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing