NEW HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1151979
Date first listed:
24-Aug-1990
Statutory Address:
NEW HALL, BISLEY STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of NEW HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1151979 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 11:32:02.

Location

Statutory Address:
NEW HALL, BISLEY STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Gloucestershire
District:
Stroud (District Authority)
Parish:
Painswick
National Grid Reference:
SO 86753 09816

Details

PAINSWICK BISLEY STREET (west side) SO 8609/8709 (part of) 8/41 New Hall GV II* House on corner. Mainly C17 but some much older fabric. Dressed coursed lime- stone, stone slate roof. L-plan with two gables both to Bisley Street and to New Street, and a cross-gabled wing; gables are coped, small stack to right gable and brick stack to left gable. To Bisley Street is two-and-a-half storeys, chamfered mullion casements with leading and stopped hoods, 2-light to gables over 3-light. At ground floor, left, window shares stepped hood with a blocked doorway, and right has a square bay with hipped roof, possibly a former shop front. To New Street also two fill gables, double chamfered mullion windows to stopped hoods, 2 over 3 over 3-light all leaded; centrally a further 3-light, probably original door position. Return left from Bisley Street has two single light casements over a C20 door, left and a 2-light wood casement; a small gable to stair, left, has 2 over 3-light casements. The L is infilled with a single storey unit. Plinth to main fronts. Interior: ground floor room in south-east corner a 4-compartment ceiling formed from deep chamfered beams, also a large square stone fireplace with moulded surround; the adjoining room has one heavy beam and a stone fireplace of late mediaeval type with haunched lintel, moulded and with moulded stone overmantel. First floor over south-east corner has smaller square stone fire opening similar to that below, here is also visible part of an arch-braced cruck truss which is cut through by the chimney breast but is completed to the collar above; the arch brace is moulded, and it is probable that this part was originally an open hall. Much of the roof structure has been renewed, but in some areas the early rafters are pegged to the diagonal ridge piece, staggered each side of slope. Cellar under part of New Street front includes a stone half-barrel vault which appears to abut a former external wall; one whole corner is enclosed in an unexplained way. The building is clearly a Hill House which has undergone substantial changes; it is said to date from 1410 and was a Wool Hall in 1429. A clothier lived here from 1580. Much modification must have occurred when New Street was cut through in C15, and again substantial works were undertaken in the early C20, when the two fireplaces on the south gable wall appear to have been reset, and this arm of the building cut down in size.

Listing NGR: SO8675309816

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
133217
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Mar 2003
Reference: IOE01/07121/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Robert Sharpe. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].