CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, SCHOOL ROAD
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1152204 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2019 at 21:22:36.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, SCHOOL ROAD
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Breckland (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TF 87854 09751
NECTON, SCHOOL ROAD,
TF 80 NE,
Church of All Saints
Parish Church. Fabric chiefly of 14th and 15th century with 19th century additions; west tower rebuilt 1864-5. Flint with limestone dressings; lead roofs, chancel pantiled. West tower, nave, chancel, north and south aisles, north vestry and south-west chapel.
West tower with staged angle buttresses faced with ashlar. Base courses with chequer pattern of stone and flushwork panels. Single light belfry windows with cusped ogee traceried heads. Cill band decorated with quatrefoils below bell openings: 3-light openings with Perpendicular tracery. Pierced and embattled stone parapet, corner piers with crocketted pinnacles. 19th century octagonal tower lantern of timber with ogee dome and lead finial. Curved braces to corner posts. Iron traceried panels between posts. West doorway with frieze of three traceried panels with shields flanked by panels of ogee headed blind arcading. 3-light west window with Perpendicular tracery. Clock face in square panel with label mould above west window. 19th century south-west chapel with chequer work plinth as tower, castellated east and west parapets and gable parapet with cross finial. 3-light Perpendicular window in gable. South aisle has three 3-light Perpendicular windows, bays divided by staged flint and limestone buttresses. Roll-moulded parapet coping. 15th century clearstorey of eight bays: closely-set 3-light windows with continous hood mould. Parapeted east gable to nave with remains of sanctus bell turret. East window of south aisle 3-light Decorated, partly blocked. Two 3-light Perpendicular windows in south wall of chancel divided by staged buttresses with knapped flint panels. Priests door to west of buttresses with plain chamfered jambs and hollow-rolled arched head with drip mould on head stops. Short diagonal buttresses to east wall; restored east window with roll-moulded head on attached shafts. Parapeted gable with cross finial. 14th century 3-light Decorated east window to north aisle. The two eastern bays of the north aisle wall (St. Catherine Chapel) rebuilt in early 19th century in brick and flint. North aisle proper of four bays with 3-light Perpendicular windows with brattished transoms. Bays divided by staged stone buttresses. 19th century north vestry with one-light Decorated windows. Short diagonal buttresses to gable. 2-light 14th century west windows to aisles.
North and south aisles of 4 bays: quatrefoil piers and capitals, arches with two hollow chamfers. Two lower bays with similar detailing to northeast chapel. Very fine 15th century nave roof retaining much original colouring: alternate hammer-beam and arch-braced collar trusses. Hammer beams in the form of angels. Principals carried on long canopied wall posts with figures of Christ, the Virgin Mary and the Apostles. Brattished rollmoulded purlins. Cornice carved with three tiers of brattishing and two tiers of angels with spread wings. Frieze below clerestorey cill with bosses and shields in foliage. Blocked window over chancel arch with central figure pedestal and canopied niches with two tiers of figures in jambs. Chancel ceiling plastered over with large coving. 19th century reredos with painting of the Raising of Lazarus. East window contains glass by de la Roche of Paris,1844. North-east chapel has incised consecration cross and piscina with petalled bowl, 14th century, in south-east corner. Fine octagonal pulpit with backboard and tester, dated 1636. Angel-piscina with petalled bowl in south- east corner of south aisle. Octagonal font with traceried panels with shields; wooden ogee cover with crocketted ribs and finial. Mason chapel contains two almost identical wall monuments, on the east wall to William Mason d.1865 and his three sons, that on the west wall to William Mason d.1835 and his wife Elizabeth d.1849. The design is attributed to Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin. Nave and chancel contain notable memorial brasses, 14th, 15th and 16th century. Aisle roofs with roll-moulded principals with arch-braces to short wall posts. Wall plate above entrance to Mason Chapel carved with names of Parish Clerk and Church wardens.
Listing NGR: TF8785409751
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing
Images of England
Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.