GROUP OF 19 MONUMENTS, ABOUT 3 TO 23 METRES SOUTH OF SOUTH TRANSEPT AND AISLE IN CHURCHYARD OF CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1152212
Date first listed:
17-Jun-1986
Statutory Address:
GROUP OF 19 MONUMENTS, ABOUT 3 TO 23 METRES SOUTH OF SOUTH TRANSEPT AND AISLE IN CHURCHYARD OF CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Map

Ordnance survey map of GROUP OF 19 MONUMENTS, ABOUT 3 TO 23 METRES SOUTH OF SOUTH TRANSEPT AND AISLE IN CHURCHYARD OF CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1152212 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2019 at 10:58:39.

Location

Statutory Address:
GROUP OF 19 MONUMENTS, ABOUT 3 TO 23 METRES SOUTH OF SOUTH TRANSEPT AND AISLE IN CHURCHYARD OF CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Gloucestershire
District:
Cotswold (District Authority)
Parish:
Down Ampney
National Grid Reference:
SU 09831 96517

Details

SU 09 NE DOWN AMPNEY DOWN AMPNEY VILLAGE

8/117 Group of 19 monuments, about 3-23m south of south transept and aisle in churchyard of Church of All Saints

GV II

Large group of 8 chest tombs, 10 single headstones and one double head and footstone. Mostly C18, all limestone. From north to south: (1) Chest tomb, Edmund Hillier, 1720 - plain moulded capping, slab sides, flat top. (2) Headstone, unidentified, to west, of mid C18 - cherub head and cartouche relief. (3) Double head and footstone, unidentified, to south of Hillier, early C18 or possibly late C17 - strapwork carved relief across top of headstone. (4) Two headstones to east, unidentified, mid C18 - cherub heads, one festoon, one cartouche. (5) Chest tomb to far west, unidentified, late C17/early C18 - plain moulded capping, flat top, slab sides breaking up at time of survey (September 1985). (6) Chest tomb, unidentified, 1777 - moulded plinth and capping, quarter baluster corners, plain sides and ends. (7) Seven Archer headstones in row to south: Mary 1729 with footstone; David, 1749; John, 1740; John 1750; Mary or Margaret, 1717; Unidentified, early/mid C18; Paul, 1769. (8) Two Archer chest tombs to west of row of Archer headstones: John, 1809 - moulded plinth and capping on base, straight quarter baluster corners, plain ends, low relief side cartouches; John 1842, and wife Hannah, 1841 - tent top, moulded plinth and capping on large base, quarter baluster corners, plain frieze, low relief carving round recessed circular panels, 2 to sides. (9) Chest tomb to south of 1809 Archer monument, unidentified, probably mid C18 - moulded plinth and capping, slab sides and ends. (10) Two Ruck chest tombs furthest to south: John, 1813, and Edmund, 1868. John - chamfered tent top with curved top section, moulded capping, no plinth visible, panelled frieze, fielded sides and ends. Edmund - stepped and chamfered tent top, moulded capping, no plinth visible, quarter baluster corners, shallow fielded sides and ends. A splendid group of monuments, with richly modelled headstones.



Listing NGR: SU0982896522

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
129860
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 31 May 2004
Reference: IOE01/12278/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Anthony Rau. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].