CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1152351
Date first listed:
25-Sep-1962
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, BLACK STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1152351 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 10:12:54.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, BLACK STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
Great Yarmouth (District Authority)
Parish:
Martham
National Grid Reference:
TG 45497 18442

Details

MARTHAM BLACK STREET TG 4518 (east side) 10/22 Church of St. Mary 25.9.62

- I

Parish church. West tower later C14, nave and aisles mid C15, chancel 1456- 69 by Robert Everard (architect of Norwich Cathedral spire), chancel demolished and rebuit 1855-61 by Philip Boyce when remainder-of church also restored. Flint with ashlar dressings. Lead roofs. Cinquefoiled flushwork arcading circles church at plinth. 4 stage tower supported on stepped angle buttresses, the buttresses with flushwork panels. Double wave moulded west doorway under hood mould. 3-light transomed Perpendicular west window, also under hood mould, extending into second stage. 2-light ringing chamber windows to north, south and west. 2-light belfry windows with punched tracery. Below south window is a clock face. Crenellated parapet conceals short leaded timber spirelet. 2 storey gabled south porch with diagonal stepped buttresses. Multiple wave moulded entrance arch with flushwork to left and right. Parvis illuminated through 3-light mullioned window flanked by one nodding ogee niche each side. 2-light arched side windows. Moulded inner doorway. Tierceron star vault in porch, the ribs with roll mouldings. C15 south door, carved and with ironwork and wooden lock. Nave buttresses are stepped. 4 3-light Perpendicular windows each aisle, of rising supermullion type. Clerestory windows are similar but with shallower arches. Moulded north doorway. Chancel 1855-61. Flushwork plinth course gives way to chequerwork up to sills. Buttresses become bulbous below windows and terminate in gablets. 3 2-light Flowing windows to south and 2 to north. Deeply moulded jambs. On north side a sloping roofed outbuilding. Exuberant 5-light east window with rosette designs in tracery head. Interior. Tall tower arch, moulded. One moulding with suspended shields. 5 bay arcade of lozenge piers with continuous casement mouldings sweeping past reduced capitals to east and west. Rolled colonnettes rise from piers to support stone corbels above string course. On corbels rest .. timber wall posts supporting C19 hammerbeam roof: Pierced arch braces rise to hammerbeams, which in turn terminate in carved angels. Aisle windows are set within wall arcade. C15 octagonal font. Stem has ogeed panels in which are carved relief figures of saints. Bowl panels have scenes of 7 Sacrements set below depressed ogee arches. Eighth scene is Last Judgement. Chancel arch has colonnettes rising up to stone angels below foliate corbels. Black marble colonnettes continue to second foliate corbel. Chancel arch is sub-cusped cinquefoiled, not arch-like in appearance. Chancel has dado. Passing through dado are tapering corbels leading into colonnettes between each window. These rise to corbels of roof. Wall arches peel off from colonnettes to frame windows. Monument to Rev. Jonathan Dawson 1861 in form of elaborate Easter sepulchre. Polygonal stone pulpit with cusped arched recesses and much foliate carving. Curving flight of steps lead into it. Simple wrought iron rood screen. Brass to Robert Alen in chancel, 1487 : a heart with an inscription.

Listing NGR: TG4549718442

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
227692
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Jun 2004
Reference: IOE01/12644/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael Parker. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].