Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1152614.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Nov-2020 at 18:26:18.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Stroud (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SO 86633 09729


PAINSWICK NEW STREET SO 8609-8709 (Part) (north west side) 8/164 Beacon House 21.10.55 GV I Large town house, originally free-standing, now in row. 1766, possibly by John Wood the Younger. Fine limestone ashlar, roof not visible, in copper. A near symmetrical composition with centre 3 bays slightly stepped forward, rusticated ground floor and balustraded parapet. Three storeys and basement, 1:3:1 windows, sashes with glazing bars except in bays one and two at ground and first floors. At ground floor the heads have heavy triple rusticated keystones, at first floor they are set to continuous podium below cills, and with balusters below central 3; moulded architraves have straight cornice, segmental, pointed, segmental pediments, and straight cornice respectively; second floor are square, with moulded architraves. Central pair of C20 glazed doors in bold Gibbs surround plus cornice; in far right set-back bay a second pair of doors. In basement area, left, a segmental-headed door; a complex arrangement of steps and railings gives access to left of main entry. Although thought to have been built free-standing, the front is not quite symmetrical, the right recessed bay being noticeably narrower than that to left. Broad chimney stacks are built in as part of the balustrade return to the left. Interior a very rich ensemble, including some fine rococo plaster decoration by William Stocking of Bristol to the staircase, which has close set balusters, alternatively plain, fluted, or tight spiral twisted, and swept handrail; entrance hall fully panelled, many good panelled doors. (country Life, July 16, 1953).

Listing NGR: SO8663409728


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
'Country Life' in 16 July, (1953)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Feb 2001
Reference: IOE01/02968/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Jack Farley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].