Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1152770.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 04-Dec-2021 at 19:15:58.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Cotswold (District Authority)
Great Rissington
National Grid Reference:
SP 19477 17136


GREAT RISSINGTON GREAT RISSINGTON VILLAGE SP 1917-2017 9/146 Great Rissington Manor (formerly listed as The Manor House) 25.8.60 GV II Former farmhouse, now a manor house. Marked as Manor Farm on the 1:2500 O.S. map. Mid C17-late C17 (probably in two phases), extended and restored by the Marling family 1929. Limestone rubble with dressed stone quoins. Stone slate roof with ashlar stacks. 'L'-shaped C17 main body. South wing added c1929. The north wing (built c1929) to the right of the main body was originally a range of farmbuildings including a barn (now converted) and forms a linear range projecting forwards from the entrance front and continuing back rear right. Mostly 2 storeys and attic. Facade; gable at centre of the entrance front, later C17 range to the left. Gable of early C20 south wing projects forwards to the left. Converted barn projects forwards to the right. Original single- light, 3 and 4-light stone-mullioned casements, with stopped hoods to the mid-late C17 ranges; king-mullions to the 4-light casements. C20 stone-mullioned casements to the north and south ranges. All windows with leaded panes, most with stopped hoods. Early C20 plank door with studded fillets with a roll-moulded 4- centred arched surround set off-centre right in the gable. Garden front cross-gabled west wing of the C17 range projects forwards at the centre. Small 2-storey turret with a pyramidal roof in the angle between the main body and the north range. Three-bay open- fronted store with rubble-built cylindrical columns to the right- hand return northern range. Varying rooflines throughout. Axial and gable-end stacks with moulded cappings and skirtings. One triple diagonally set lateral stack to the south range. Saddleback coping to the gables, kneelers and pierced pointed finials to the main body and the south range. Lead guttering probably dating from the early C20 restoration. Some rainwater heads decorated with either a single leaping fish or a castellated tower. Rainwater head with the initials 'M. H. M.' (Marling) on the garden front. Interior restored in 1929. Ground floor; two original Tudor- arched fireplaces with restored herringbone tiling at the back. Matching early C20 stone fireplace. Several probably original flat-chamfered basket-headed stone fireplace surrounds in bedrooms. One small Tudor-arched fireplace with a roll moulded surround. Small area of C17 wall painting (cl.5m x lm) in an upstairs bedroom. The painting is intended to imitate wood panelling and has a yellow background onto which is painted the outline of 4 panels with a lozenge at the centre of each, imitation wooden peg fixings at the junction of the rails and stiles. Painted nulling forms a frieze at the top of the painted panelling which was probably once more extensive. Staircase early C20. (V.C.H. Vol VI, p 99)

Listing NGR: SP1947717136


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Gloucester, (1965), 99


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].