CHAVENAGE HOUSE AND CHAPEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1152854

Date first listed: 16-Mar-1987

Statutory Address: CHAVENAGE HOUSE AND CHAPEL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHAVENAGE HOUSE AND CHAPEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1152854 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Dec-2018 at 13:43:01.

Location

Statutory Address: CHAVENAGE HOUSE AND CHAPEL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold (District Authority)

Parish: Beverston

National Grid Reference: ST 87170 95178, ST 87196 95190

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BEVERSTON - ST 89 NE 3/15 Chavenage House and Chapel GV I

Manor house and attached chapel. House mainly of 1576, built by Edward Stephens on site of older house, enlarged in C17, altered in C18 by Rev Richard Stephens, enlarged to south west in 1904-5 by John Micklethwaite. Random coursed rubble stone with flush quoins, stone slate roof, scattered stone ridge and end stacks with ashlar flues and moulded cornices, several set diagonally in pairs and with one polygonal flue with carved cap immediately left of porch and one very large stepped external stack on north side. Core of E shape, 2 storeys and attic, with central porch on east side, additional small wings to north and south probably of C17, and large south west cross wing of early C20. Porch leads into open screens passage with hall to left and kitchen and buttery to right through Tudor-arched door. Scattered fenestration, mostly hollow moulded 2-light stone mullions or single lights, with square hoodmoulds, and with some arched or cusped lights possibly originating from ruins of Horsley Priory. To left of porch, 2 large 3-light 3-tiered stone mullion and transom windows with arched lights and some stained glass, lighting great hall. Porch has 2-light trefoils with quatrefoil and hoodmould, above square- headed doorway with lozenge-carved lintel and square hoodmould with diamond stops and initials and date "ES 1576". Hipped 2-light leaded casement dormer to each side of porch. Small projecting gabled section in angle to left facing central gable on wing to right. South side has castellated bays and parapet added in C18, and very large single storey bow window to south gable end of 1904 wing, with 5-light stone mullion and transom over, which otherwise has 2 or 3-light stone fenestration on west side. Interior: former open hall, now with ceiling, with altered minstrels' gallery over C16 screen, Renaissance style fireplace of c1680; adjoining dining room has panelling dated 1627 and contemporary Gothic fireplace. Upper rooms contain Mortlake Tapestries of early C17. Chapel: tower built as folly c1700, two stages with stepped diagonal buttresses, embattled parapet with corner pinnacles and stairvice, heavily ornamented west side with sculptured niches. Main body of c1800 linking it to house. Interior not accessible. The house has strong associations with Cromwell and the Civil War and much is unaltered since the C16 and C17. (David Verey, Buildings of Enqland - Gloucestershire: the Cotswolds, 1979; Country Life, Vol 29, 1911; house guide book)

Listing NGR: ST8719395190

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 130329

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Chavenage House Guide Book
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds, (1970)
'Country Life' in Country Life, , Vol. 29, (1911)
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 16 Gloucestershire,

End of official listing