CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1152872
Date first listed:
06-Mar-1959
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, THE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1152872 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 15:01:06.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, THE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
North Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Fulmodeston
National Grid Reference:
TF 99424 32778

Details

TF 93 SE FULMODESTON THE STREET (west) Barney 2/19 Church of St. Mary 6/3/59 I

Parish church. Pre 1100 evidence in nave, c.1200 south door, c.1300 chancel, C15 overall. Flint with stone dressings, some conglomerate and Roman tiles as dressings in nave, traces of rendering. Roofs: nave slated, chancel and south transept black glazed pantiles. Nave with pre 1100 beginnings, blocked early round-headed door with tiles used for quoins and arch and south-east nave corner quoins. South doorway of c.1200, with pointed arch and order of colonnettes with shafts missing. Perpendicular south porch, cement rendered. Nave south side with one slightly camber headed 2-light Perpendicular window and one arched 3-light Perpendicular window. Nave north with blocked c.1200 door, one 2-light and one 3-light Perpendicular window, 4 buttresses, 3 rebuilt in brick. Perpendicular west tower, with 3 paired lancet belfry windows, details rendered over or mullions removed. Nave south transept Perpendicular with east and west 2-light and south 3-light Perpendicular windows (referred to as "of new build" 1496). Chancel of c.1200 with to south 2 paired lancets and priest's door, but Decorated-Perpendicular east window of 3 lights. Interior: nave with 5 bay Perpendicular roof with arched braces, springing from carved capitals and angels, bosses at intersection of purlins and principals. Coved wall plate with shields and quatrefoils. Perpendicular Font; octagonal with arms of the Valoines family, Lords of the Manor. C17 panelled bench at rear of nave. Jacobean pulpit, 6-sided with C15 brass memorial inscriptions attached by hinges. Perpendicular rood loft door and loft arch, and chancel arch on responds. Decorated-Perpendi- cular south side niche with ogee head with cinquefoil. Angle piscina of c.1200 and window-sill sedilia. Single C15 Poppyhead bench. C.19 king post roof. South transept chapel, with 2-bay Perpendicular arch-braced roof, plastered between rafters, 2 Poppyhead benches.

Listing NGR: TF9942432778

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
223941
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Mar 2006
Reference: IOE01/15130/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Roger Hamilton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].