CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1152882

Date first listed: 04-Oct-1960

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1152882 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 09:11:01.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: North Norfolk (District Authority)

Parish: Plumstead

National Grid Reference: TG 13254 34893

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 06/09/2012

TG 13 SW 7/81 4.10.60

PLUMSTEAD CHURCH STREET (north side) Church of St Michael

II*

Parish church. C12; chancel of c.1300; C14 south aisle, demolished before C19; C15 clerestory and west tower; restored 1873. C12 herringbone masonry of iron conglomerate to north wall with original quoining at junction with chancel and tower; rest of knapped and unknapped flint with clunch ashlar dressings, partly rendered; gabled C19 plain tile roof with bands of fishscale tiles. Plan of nave and chancel with west tower. Chancel has C19 (probably 1873) 3-light perpendicular-style east window and, to south side, a 2-light window with trefoil heads and a similar one-light window of c.1300 flanked by offset buttresses; c.1873 organ chamber and C19 buttresses to north side. Nave has two 2-light geometrical-style windows and hood mould over chamfered pointed-arched doorway to south and gabled north porch with cinquefoiled lights and pointed arched doorway, all of c.1873. West tower of 3 stages with angle buttresses having blank tracery to stone plinths; hood mould over c.1873 west window; stair projection to north; 2-light cinquefoiled belfry windows with perpendicular tracery; gargoyles to corners of flushwork parapet with crocketed pinnacles. Interior: chancel has trefoil-headed piscina and drop sedilia of c.1300 and remains of Easter Sepulchre with modern colouring to fragmentary vaulting. C14 two-bay south arcade of 3 orders with hollow chamfers set on octagonal piers with moulded capitals; C15 tower arch with wave-moulded outer arch set on polygonal responds with embattled capitals. Mid C19 and C15 corbels to mid C19 hammerbeam roof to chancel and waggon roof with scissor braces and arch-braced principles to nave, all with C15 elements. Fittings: altar, reredos, litany desk and sanctuary provided as memorial to Captain Whiteside, d.1916; pews, pulpit, lectern and west screen of c.1873; C15 octagonal stone font. Memorial to Theophila Fleming, d.1743. Royal Arms of George VI to north wall. Stained glass: C15 figures in east window and C16-17 Flemish glass in south windows taken from Catton Hall, Norwich, in 1952.



Listing NGR: TG1325434893

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 224098

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing