EADTINGTON HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1153017

Date first listed: 09-Dec-1986

Statutory Address: EADTINGTON HOUSE, SPRING HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of EADTINGTON HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1153017 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 12:05:43.

Location

Statutory Address: EADTINGTON HOUSE, SPRING HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Stroud (District Authority)

Parish: Eastington

National Grid Reference: SO 77993 05437

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SPRING HILL SO 7705 and EASTINGTON SO 7805 (east side) 12/79 and 13/79 Eastington House GV II

Formerly called Millend House, large detached house. Built probably soon after 1569, said to have 10 hearths in 1672. Acquired by Henry Hicks, local mill owner by 1800 and much altered at this period, dates in leadwork 1791-1806. Roughcast-faced with quoins and coped gables to front, some of original fabric is timber-framed, later alterations in brick. Slate roof, mainly ashlar stacks, including one large ridge stack to west with 3 diagonally set square flues with moulded cornices, and large external stack to rear of east end. Thought originally to have been H-plan, rear gables either removed or never built. Centre front section filled in c1800 with additional gable to left and linking cross piece, latter further enlarged at end of C19 when many alterations were made internally including insertion of very large staircase on north side. Scattered fenestration, with some surviving 2 or 3-light stone mullions with square hoodmould, front and sides mainly sashed c1800 with plain surrounds, right hand and new gable having Venetian windows on first floor (blind to right) and small round-arched attic lights with Gothick glazing bars. Right hand return has 2-storey bow with 3 long paired casements to each floor. Interior has many original chamfered and stopped beams, paired arched wind bracing in roof on original wings of H, most original wide elm floorboards. C19 alterations largely on ground floor, including panelled arches to large hall. Some wallpaper from this period may also survive in dining room. (VCH, Gloucestershire, Vol X, 1972)

Listing NGR: SO7799305437

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 132338

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Gloucester, (1972)

End of official listing