CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1153076
Date first listed:
21-Mar-1985
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1153076 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 01:58:10.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Gloucestershire
District:
Cotswold (District Authority)
Parish:
Tetbury
National Grid Reference:
ST 89043 92959

Details

ST 8892-8992 TETBURY CHURCH STREET (east side)

8/158 Church of St. Mary the Virgin



I

Anglican parish church. 1781 by Francis Hiorn of Warwick, tower rebuilt 1890/1 by Waller, on site of medieval church. Ashlar, hipped slate and Cotswold stone slate roof with embattled parapet. Elegant Gothic Revival. Large 7-bay rectangular hall church with single storey additional "aisles" on either side, giving access to the box pews at the outer edges of the nave, and with single central projecting chancel bay at east end and tower bay at west end. West tower is the rebuilt medieval tower of 5 stages with pinnacles and recessed spire. Rounded stair well with slit openings projecting in north east corner and stepped diagonal buttresses to remaining corners. 2-light belfry louvres on each face, with gargoyles to west and south, clock face to north only, elaborate ogee louvres to lowest stage of spire to north, west and south. West wall has tall 4-light window and large arched doorway. North and south "aisles" with 3 single trefoil lights to each bay and embattled parapet. Nave has very tall windows of 4 lights with Perpendicular-type tracery and shields in spandrels. Chancel bay has 3 tall blind lancets to north and south and 5-light east window, with clasped buttresses. Interior: sexpartite rib vault supported by very slender clustered colonettes in wood around central wooden core, with smaller version supporting U-shape gallery at west end with narrow trefoil head panelled front. Nave retains original box pews with carved panelled doors, with access to side pews through pointed arch panelled doors from side aisle passages. Original reredos flanks an altarpiece by Benjamin West. 2 contemporary brass chandeliers hang in nave. Stained glass by Wailes, except one by Clayton and Bell. Some original fittings were removed in 1900. Very fine collection of wall monuments in white and grey marble, grouped mainly in north east corner and in gallery. Tower contains monuments to Paul family; in west passage by north west door, monument to Saunders family of Upton Grove (q.v.). Some remnants of medieval effigies from original church in north aisle passage. (David Verey, Buildings of England; Gloucestershire - The Cotswolds, 1979).

Listing NGR: ST8905292957

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
128434
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire The Cotswolds, (1979)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Mar 2003
Reference: IOE01/08533/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Catherine Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].