CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1153103.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 26-Jan-2021 at 16:00:40.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Tewkesbury (District Authority)
- Ashchurch Rural
- National Grid Reference:
- SO 92758 33414
SO 93 SW ASHCHURCH ASHCHURCH VILLAGE
4/8 Church of St. Nicholas
Anglican parish church. C12, C13, late C14, and C15, restored 1889 and 1931, small mid-late C20 extension. Nave; random limestone. Clerestory; coursed squared and finely dressed limestone and sandstone. South porch and tower; large blocks coursed finely dressed limestone. Artificial stone slate roof to chancel. Leaded roof to nave. Red tile roof to C12 nave with C15 clerestory. Nave south wall; two raking buttresses (possibly added C14). Narrow C12 round-headed window with cable moulding at top. Early studded plank door with strap hinges and later fillets within a pointed casement-moulded surround within porch. Outer order of doorway C12 with chevron and pellet decoration and hoodmould with incised decoration and scrolled stops. Part of C12 impost with ogee-curved incised decoration remains on left. Two 3-light windows with trefoil-headed lights within chamfered stone surrounds to right of porch. Two-light window with trefoil-headed lights with carved spandrels left of porch. Three, 3-light clerestory windows with trefoil-headed lights and carved spandrels. Battlemented parapet. Projecting C14 porch off-centre left with moulded plinth and C18 fielded panelled double door pointed-arched entrance with casement moulded surround with stopped hood. Two-light window within pointed-arched surround in gable, formerly lighting an upper chamber above (floor now removed). Similar windows to ground floor in sides of porch. Single light windows in side walls of former upper chamber. Square block sundial with metal gnomon at apex of roof. Stone bench seats along side walls within porch. Defaced ogee-curved stoop right of door. Free-standing segmental-headed headstone below stoop to Ralph Leynes of Northway, died 1644. Buttressed late C13 north aisle/chapel. Two 2-light windows with carved spandrels. Low flat-chamfered pointed arched north doorway with brick blocking. Three-light pointed window at east end. Small C20 extension at west end. South wall of chancel; flat- chamfered plinth with raking buttresses and early C14 pointed window at east end of chancel. Two 2-light windows within rectangular surrounds in north and south walls. Late C14 three stage tower with diagonal buttresses and moulded plinth. C14 three-light pointed window at west end. Two-light belfry windows with stone louvres. Battlemented parapet with crocketed pinnacles and string with eroded gargoyles. Flat coping with cross saddles at gable ends of north aisle/chapel. Saddleback coping and ball finial at gable end of chancel. Scraped interior: Nave with north aisle, chapel of St. Thomas at east end of north aisle, chancel and west tower. Six-bay nave arcade with C13 six-bay nave arcade with octagonal piers and pointed arches. Two flying buttresses (dating from 1888 restoration) in north aisle supporting the arcade wall. Blocked segmental-headed north doorway. Tall double-chamfered arch with imposts from nave to tower. Traces of wall painting comprising a simple foliate motif in red on arch. Early plank door within flat- chamfered surround giving access to tower left of archway. Nave roof; C19 with king post and raking struts. Chancel; lower part of three arch-braced tie beam trusses visible (upper part obscured by a plastered ceiling). C19 brattished wallplate. Roof of chapel/north aisle with massive tie beams and brattished wallplate. Simple corbels lower down wall of chapel and north aisle indicate the roof once had braced supports. One possibly reused corbel decorated with carved face (now defaced). Flagged floor. Furniture and fittings: Octagonal stone font towards west end of nave with C14 limestone pedestal and plinth. C19 pews and choir stalls with blind tracery. C19 multi-facetted pulpit with sides with pierced tracery. Fine C15 wooden rood screen with coved projecting canopy. Finely carved pierced tracery with vine scroll motif. Painted Tudor frieze at wallplate level of chapel, continued for short distance into aisle. Frieze painted to give panelled appearance with small sun at the centre of each 'panel'. Frieze includes portraits one with the initials 'R.G.' another the word 'GRACE' in background. C19 wooden communion rail. C19 altar table. Two fine C16-early C17 chairs, one with the dragon motif and 3 high-backed late C17-early C18 chairs. Fine C17 carved altar table with frieze with dragon motif in chapel. Early parish chest in north aisle with traces of 3 locks. Royal arms of George I on canvas over nave arcade. Large C17 carved panel with guilloche, vine scroll motifs and arcaded blind panels containing single flower motifs on nave north wall. Monuments, nave south wall; marble monument to William Ferrers, second son of Roger Ferrers of Fiddington Court (q.v. Manor Farm, Fiddington), died 1625, comprising a round-headed alcove painted bust. Inscription and alcove outlined in goldleaf. Small brass to Robert Baker, died 1671 with inscription in rhyming verse and two C19 brasses. Monuments on north wall of chancel; two Cl9 monuments one to members of the Ruddle family of Walton House. Ledger set in north wall of chapel to George Banaster, died 1734 and Sarah, his wife, died 1729. Ledger on north wall of north aisle to William Haynes of Ashchurch died 1654 and his wife died 1652. Marble ledger to Thomas Smithsend, died 1717, to right of tower arch. Numerous C19 and C18 ledgers at west end of nave. C18 and cl7 ledgers at east end of north aisle. Rectangular brass plaque to Roger Ferrers, citizen and merchant of London, died 1636, fixed to C20 choir stall. Brass to Thomas Ferrers, died 1583, and Ane, his wife, died 1605 fixed to choir stall opposite. Stained glass in east window by Hardman, other windows mostly by Kempe. Some quarries of possibly late C14 glass at west end of north aisle. (D. Verey, The Buildings of England, the Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1980; and V.C.H., Vol VIII, p 186)
Listing NGR: SO9275833414
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Allison, K J, The Victoria History of the County of York: East Riding, (1969), 186
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 2 The Vale and The Forest of Dean, (1970)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing