SNETTISHAM OLD HALL
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- SNETTISHAM OLD HALL, LYNN ROAD
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1153140.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 23:09:44.
- Statutory Address:
- SNETTISHAM OLD HALL, LYNN ROAD
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- King's Lynn and West Norfolk (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TF 68508 34346
TF 6834 SNETTISHAM LYNN ROAD (east)
10/39 Snettisham Old Hall.
Hall. Incorporating manor house of later C16 or earlier C17 remodelled in C18 and early C19 by the Styleman family, later of Hunstanton Hall. Originally an H-plan house with solar at east, hall in centre, services at west, with central entrance gable and 2 returned gables. Rubble carstone with brick dressings on south front with later galleted carstone work; coursed, squared and dressed carstone of Cl8 on north front, some brick at north-east corner, west service wing of 2 different carstone builds. Black glazed pantiled roofs, slate at south-east, C20 pantiles to west service wing. Earliest work perhaps by Sir Wymond Cary (obit 1612): plaster work reported but not seen had cypher of Henry, Prince of Wales (obit 1612); or . his heir who bought the manor from James I in 1614 but sold it promptly; from 1710 to 1835 occupied by the Style- man family. Exterior: south front largely C18 details, but earlier forms of H-plan house survive: 2 outer 2 bay gabled return wings, 5 bay centre with central projecting wings have 2 ground and 2 first floor windows under flat rubbed brick arches. Dutch gables with single segmental rubbed brick arch head, all C18 sashes with glazing bars. Central storey former entrance porch has ground floor glazed French doors under flat rubbed brick arch, first floor glazing barred sash with arched switch tracery Gothick head under fine segmental rubbed brick arch. Wooden open pediment cornice 2 flanking bays to west have 2 ground and 2 first and to east one ground and 2 first floor C18 sashes with glazing bars under flat rubbed brick arches. All sashes clearly inserted in earlier openings, walls and brick quoins earlier still; raised parapet to centre and lead down pipes with "NAS 1737" for Nicholas and Armine Styleman suggest date for refenestration and addition of Dutch gables. 3 attic flat roofed sashed dormers. At south-east corner early C19 wooden lead roofed porch with Doric pilasters and pedimented gable, 2 glazed French doors. East return of east wing has early C19 additional 2 storey carstone and brick dressed semi-circular bow with 3 ground level silled sashes, 3 first floor sashes with glazing bars. At east an additional brick bay with one ground and one first floor sash. This work perhaps contemporary with infilling of north side of "H" plan to form at north 2 gabled wings of 2 bays each, in centre a 5 bay ranges, carstone. Centre has 2 outer arched and fanlight headed sashes with glazing bars to light staircases, 3 sashes in between, ground floor additional flat roofed single storey wing with early C19 wooden porch with fanlight headed door and swept leaded roof. Stacks to this north side of main roof pitch only : 2 to ridge of both wings, 2 to centre. At west a long service wing of at least 2 builds. To south entrance front,return has 4 ground and 4 first floor sashes of C18 remodelling, first floor datestone 1632 at south partly cut away brick stitching of C17 window. At north, at junction with "H" plan a brick dressed former door with arched head, probably early C17. To south and returned to west continued as carstone wall screening C20 additions. To service court to west a central straight joint divides earlier south end from C18 north. Interior: a later C16 stone fireplace re-erected on ground floor 1980, but otherwise surviving evidence of interest confined to south-east wing or solar end of original "H" plan, a remodelling associated with Henry Styleman (1755-1819) and perhaps immediately prior to his death, but earlier C18 or later C19 dates also possible. South-east bowed room with rich Greek Revival cornice suggests later date. Entrance porch, hall and north staircase with cast iron balusters and tented plaster ceiling and cornice probably pre-1819; an 1817 date is associated in incomplete accounts for work by Richard Egmore, builder. Re- used mid C18 panelling at first floor south west corner. House bought 1877 by Edward Green, builder of Ken Hill or Snettisham New Hall (1878-1881)(q,v) See Elizabeth M. James. "The Old Hall, Snettisham, and the Styleman Family" Norfolk Archaeology, xxviii, Part III, pp. 343-357.
Listing NGR: TF6850834346
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
'Norfolk Archaeology' in Norfolk Archaeology, , Vol. 28, (1945), 343-357
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing