CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1153176
Date first listed:
10-Jan-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1153176 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2019 at 19:38:06.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Gloucestershire
District:
Stroud (District Authority)
Parish:
Frampton on Severn
National Grid Reference:
SO 74348 06940

Details

FRAMPTON-ON-SEVERN CHURCH END SO 7406-7506 11/90 Church of St. Mary the Virgin 10.1.55 GV II* Anglican parish church. Consecrated 1315, largely of C14 with C15 chapels, tower and porch rebuilt in C18, restored c1850 by Francis Niblett, and 1868-70 by Henry Woodyer including lengthening of chancel. Mostly squared and dressed stone with some roughcast facing to aisles, stone slate roof with coped verges and saddlestones, some with cross finials. West tower nave and aisles with south porch at west end, projecting chancel. West tower, rebuilt in 1734, of 3 stages with stringcourses and stepped diagonal buttresses ending in crocketed pinnacles and with open trefoil panelled parapet with pitched roof behind. Two-light open stonework belfry openings on top stage; small projecting stair tower on north side; west side has large 3-light Perpendicular window over pointed arch doorway. Windows generally 2 or 3-light Perpendicular, those to east of chapels having angel stops and elaborate tracery. North side has low wide ogee archway corresponding to porch on south side, raised to 2 storeys in late C18 with small stone ridge stack and 2-light pointed arch leaded window to south in upper chamber. Lower chamber has blocked niches to both sides, over stone wall seats and very old plank door with original locking gear. Moulded pointed archway with alternate cavetto and ovolo moulding, and hoodmould. Interior: 4-bay pointed arcade to aisles with octagonal piers. Crown post and beam roof to nave and north aisle, wagon roof to south aisle. Two-bay choir arcade to chapels. Romanesque lead font in south west corner, probably mid/late C12. Pulpit of 1622, pews of C19 with end panels of linenfold design. Clifford Chapel to north has 2 recumbent effigies on low tomb chests in arched recesses, reputed to be of members of Clifford family, probably early C14. Many good wall tablets in marble, particularly to Clifford family, some by John Pearce fl. late C18, a local carver. (V.C.H. Gloucestershire, Vol X, 1972; David Verey, The Buildings of England - The Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1980; local church guide.)

Listing NGR: SO7434806940

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
132348
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Church of St Mary the Virgin Frampton on Severn church guide
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Gloucester, (1972)
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 2 The Vale and The Forest of Dean, (1970)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Apr 2004
Reference: IOE01/12154/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Alan Bamforth. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].