HYDRAULIC SILO BUILDING 70 METRES EAST OF CRAGEND FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1153196

Date first listed: 25-Aug-1987

Statutory Address: HYDRAULIC SILO BUILDING 70 METRES EAST OF CRAGEND FARMHOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of HYDRAULIC SILO BUILDING 70 METRES EAST OF CRAGEND FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1153196 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 19:30:39.

Location

Statutory Address: HYDRAULIC SILO BUILDING 70 METRES EAST OF CRAGEND FARMHOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Northumberland (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Cartington

National Grid Reference: NU 08706 00882

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CARTINGTON CRAGEND NU 00 SE 17/10 Hydraulic silo building 70 metres east of Cragend Farmhouse II*

Experimental hydraulic silo, c.1895 by Lord Armstrong. Snecked stone with tooled-and-margined dressings; Welsh slate roof to centre, original heavy corrugated iron on side parts and C20 asbestos sheets on loading bay. Linear plan: rectangular silage bay on each side of taller cross-gabled centre.

North elevation. Gabled centre has boarded double doors with similar pitching doors above, both in chamfered surrounds; lower side parts have slit vents. To right, below slit vents is pent roof of loading bay, entered at lower level by segmental arch holding boarded double doors on right return. Side parts have barrel roof.

Interior; centre part has twin-cylinder hydraulic engine in basement (not seen as access stair is unsafe); turbine on entrance level and chopping machine on 1st floor, now removed. Flanking silage bays are deep chambers, rendered internally, with the floor area of each containing 18 large stone drums. Transverse steel girders below roof; steel arched roof trusses.

The hydraulic silo is said to have been based on a French original seen by Lord Armstrong. Grass was forked in through the pitching door to the chopping machine powered by the turbine below, which was operated by water pumped up from the hydraulic engine; the chopped grass was then manually loaded into the silage bays; when these were full it was compacted beneath the stone drums, which had been raised to the transverse girders by hydraulic power. Hoists for lifting silage (and men) from the bays were also hydraulically operated; the silage was then dropped down a chute from the entrance door into the low- level loading bay, and removed.

The process was not very efficient in terms of manpower required, and was soon abandoned due to problems of gas emanation; the power source was lost when Blackburn Lake was drained c.1930.

Listing NGR: NU0870600882

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 236347

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing