CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1153564

Date first listed: 05-Sep-1960

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, WASH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1153564 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 01:07:17.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, WASH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: South Norfolk (District Authority)

Parish: Kirby Cane

National Grid Reference: TM 37372 94170

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

KIRBY CANE WASH LANE TM 39 SE 7/81 Church of All Saints 5.9.60

GV I Parish church. Medieval with C18 additions. Flint with limestone dressings, flintwork partly rendered over. Pantiled roofs, hipped over north aisle. West tower, nave, south porch, north aisle, chancel, north vestry. Round west tower, probably pre-Conquest, with pilaster strips around base. Wide single light bell openings; later castellated brick parapet. West window of two lights much repaired and rendered over. South porch entrance arch much obscured by later render; stoup on east side of opening partly infilled in red brick. Short diagonal buttresses to gable, the lower sections in red brick, flushwork panels and stone dressings above. Blocked east and west porch windows. Good C12 south doorway with decorated shafts and capitals, arches with zigzag and roll mouldings; continuous zigzag around inner order. Hood mould with flower motif and keystone with beast's head carving. Two 2-light south nave windows, one with sub-divided Perpendicular head, the eastern window with cusped Y-tracery. Two cusped Y tracery windows in south wall of chancel, with blocked priest's door between. Two small high level windows with semicircular heads, one much restored. Short diagonal buttress of two stages at south-east corner, the north-east corner buttress rebuilt in brick. East window of three lights with cusped inter- secting tracery. North wall of chancel partly rebuilt in red brick with pantiled lean-to in north-east angle. North aisle with steeply pitched hipped roof; one double and one single lancet in north wall with small blocked trefoil-headed window at high level and blocked doorway below. Restored 3-light window with intersecting tracery in west wall. Interior: scissor-braced nave roof; chancel ceiling plastered and coved on a moulded cornice, the eastern end of the chancel has a flat ceiling. North aisle ceiling plastered and coved with a flat centre. North arcade of three bays, double chamfered arches on massive octagonal piers; a further two bays continue into the chancel, the eastern bay now blocked. Chancel arch double-chamfered with fragments of hood mould and capitals. Rood stair rising from window cill level, south-east corner of nave. Narrow semicircular headed tower arch. C16 chest tomb in chancel, against blocked eastern bay of arcade, with three panels of arms. On the north wall of chancel, a monument to Elizabeth Catelyne (d.1681) - broken segmental pediment on Ionic columns on figure corbels; also a tablet commemorating the building of the vestry in 1738 by Sir Charles Turner in memory of Sir Neville Catelyn and his wife. Some good floor slabs in chancel, including one to John Watson, rector of Kirby Cane, ejected 1646 during the Rebellion. C17 communion rail with turned balusters. C17 octagonal pulpit. Font C14 octagonal; bowl with traceried panels, figure corbels below bowl, and engaged shafts around the stem.

Listing NGR: TM3737294170

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 226858

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing