CHURCH OF ST GREGORY THE GREAT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1153604
Date first listed:
21-Sep-1951
Date of most recent amendment:
14-May-1986
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GREGORY THE GREAT

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST GREGORY THE GREAT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1153604.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2019 at 02:02:19.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GREGORY THE GREAT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Kirknewton
National Park:
NORTHUMBERLAND
National Grid Reference:
NT 91346 30251

Details

NT 93 SW KIRKNEWTON KIRKNEWTON

3/87 (inset) Church of St. Gregory 21/9/51 the Great (formerly listed as St Gregory's GV Church)

II*

Parish church. C13 and C19. Nave 1860 by John Dobson. Tower later C19. Roughly-dressed stone with ashlar quoins and dressings. Welsh slate roof. Tower whinstone.

North-west tower, south porch, nave and north aisle, south transept and chancel.

Tower Perpendicular with 3-light west window and 2-light bell openings. Stepped, castellated parapet with obelisks at corners.

4-bay nave with lancet windows. South porch, with shouldered lintel in 1st bay.

Transept, in 4th bay is lower with much older masonry. Victorian 3-light Geometric window.

Very low 2-bay chancel has priest's door with flat lintel and chamfered surround. Square south window to right, also with chamfered surround. 3-light east window with C19 stepped lancets.

Interior: nave and north aisle entirely Dobson. 4-bay arcade with octagonal piers and broad chamfered arches.

Chancel arch, probably C13. Very narrow, low, depressed pointed arch rising from plain chamfered imposts.

The chancel is vaulted with very low pointed tunnel vault rising from side walls only 3 ft. high. Priest's door and south window deeply set into the vault.

South transept has similar vault only rising straight from floor.

To left of chancel arch: C12 carving of Adoration of Magi.

In transept: monument to Andrew Burrell and wife 1458. Slab with incised figures, the faces and hands indented for brass. Inscription round edges.

2 fonts: one at entrance to transept. C18 marble with baluster stem; the other at west end of nave dated 1663, with ornamental panelled octagonal shaft and bowl.

Monument to Rev. John Werge 1732, in chancel: aedicule with rusticated pilasters, profile heads in place of capitals and well carved memento mori in pediment.

Listing NGR: NT9134630251

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
237663
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Aug 2002
Reference: IOE01/08036/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Paul Marshall. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].