THE MOOT HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1153709

Date first listed: 31-Dec-1969

Date of most recent amendment: 01-Sep-1988

Statutory Address: THE MOOT HALL, STATION ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE MOOT HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1153709 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 02:23:40.

Location

Statutory Address: THE MOOT HALL, STATION ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Northumberland (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Embleton

National Grid Reference: NU 23030 22609

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NU 2322 EMBLETON STATION ROAD (Embleton Village)

14/82 The Moot Hall 31.12.69 (formerly listed as The Old Hall) II

House and outbuildings. House C17 or earlier, remodelled in later C18 and extended in early C19; outbuildings probably early C19. House rendered and cream-washed; cut dressings. Outbuildings whinstone rubble. C20 pantile roofs with older brick stacks. House T-plan, with outbuildings attached to north-east corner of rear wing and additional early C19 north-west wing. South elevation 2 storeys, 3 bays. Central C20 door and gabled wood doorcase; 12-pane sash windows with slightly-projecting sills; upper windows have thick glazing bars. Raised gable coping with end stacks. Left return shows C20 glazed conservatory; its right end wall is 1 metre thick and is said to be part of a former parish oven. Set back left north-west wing; beyond it, the end of earlier rear wing holds a chamfered ground-floor window which is the end-light of a mullioned window partly covered by the C19 wing.

Right return; Gable end of front block shows small square chamfered light on ground floor; set-back right 2-bay rear wing with two 12-pane sashes, and renewed 4-light mullioned window on 1st floor; far right projecting outbuilding with 12-pane sash and 4-pane casement.

Interior: Chamfered doorway, from C19 wing into original rear wing, holds a 2-panel door with beaded panels; one similar door upstairs. East bedroom fireplace has flat 4-centred chamfered surround, west bedroom fireplace C18 stone surround.

Historical Notes: The Moot Hall at Embleton, the building in which the king's court sat, is mentioned in several ancient documents. Accounts survive for its remodelling in 1586 (Northumberland County History, II (1895) p.39-41).



Listing NGR: NU2303022609

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 236972

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Bateson, E, 'A History of Northumberland' in The Parishes of Embleton Ellingham Howick Long Houghton and Lesbury, , Vol. 2, (1893), 39-41

End of official listing