BOTHAL CASTLE GATEHOUSE AND ADJACENT WING TO WEST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1153715
Date first listed:
14-Apr-1949
Statutory Address:
BOTHAL CASTLE GATEHOUSE AND ADJACENT WING TO WEST, BOTHAL VILLAGE

Map

Ordnance survey map of BOTHAL CASTLE GATEHOUSE AND ADJACENT WING TO WEST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1153715 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Aug-2019 at 03:42:11.

Location

Statutory Address:
BOTHAL CASTLE GATEHOUSE AND ADJACENT WING TO WEST, BOTHAL VILLAGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Ashington
National Grid Reference:
NZ 23985 86520

Details

BOTHAL BOTHAL VILLAGE NZ 2386 (West side)

7/79 Bothal Castle: Gatehouse and 14/4/49 adjacent wing to west I



Castle gatehouse, probably c.1343 when Robert Bertram obtained licence to crenellate, restored from ruin 1830-31: adjacent wing c.1858, incorporating some medieval walling, extended and heightened 1909; C19 and early C20 work for Sample family, agents for Duke of Portland. Squared stone with cut dressings; gatehouse roof leaded, Lakeland slates on wing. Gatehouse rectangular in plan, with semi-octagonal turrets flanking entrance on north, and rectangular south-west stair turret.

North elevation: Gatehouse 3 storeys, 3 bays and 2-bay right wing. Moulded pointed central arch with portcullis slot, 1st floor window of 2 trefoiled lights with quatrefoil in spandrel, 3-light square-headed window with transom above. Flanking turrets have 3-light windows, mostly C19, except for single- light loops to ground floor left. Crenellated parapet with gargoyles, important display of contemporary heraldry and 2 worn stone figures (of. Alnwick Castle). Inner return of each turret shows blocked shoulder-arched door, probably early C19. 2-bay wing to right has 3-light mullioned windows (those on 2nd floor blocked) and crenellated parapet. Left return of gatehouse shows original 2-light lst-floor window and 3-light transomed window above.

South elevation, to bailey: Gatehouse has double-chamfered arch; original 2-light window above with C15 transomed 2-light window with panel-traceried head on right, brought from Cockle Park Tower in 1830-31 restoration. 3- and 4-light transomed windows to 2nd floor, the latter a late C19 insertion. Small loops to right and in taller projecting stair turret on left. Wing to left 4 storeys, 3 bays; projecting embattled porch with moulded arch, 2- 3- and 4-light mullioned windows, some transomed. 2-storey extension on far left projects beyond line of curtain wall.

Interior: Gate passage has pointed rib vault with 4 murder-holes. Blocked shouldered doorway in each wall, and 2 chamfered loops on west. Ground floor chambers have round-arched rib vaults. 1st floor chamber has segmental ribbed rear arches to original windows, some with window seats. Newel stair capped by ribbed umbrella vault; shoulder-arched doorways. Wing has open- well closed-string stair with turned balusters. 1st floor drawing room has C15 fireplace with embattled lintel, brought from Cockle Park, and oak panelling originally from East-Indiaman ship. One wall, and stair, have plasterwork in imitation of panelling.

Historial Note: The Bertrams were lords from the late C12 until 1406, when the estate passed to the Ogles. Sir John Ogle was besieged here by his elder brother Sir Robert, who took the castle but was later compelled to return it to Sir John.

Listing NGR: NZ2398586520

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
235949
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected]storicEngland.org.uk.