This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

WEST LODGE AND GATEWAY TO FORD CASTLE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: WEST LODGE AND GATEWAY TO FORD CASTLE

List entry Number: 1153904

Location

WEST LODGE AND GATEWAY TO FORD CASTLE, B6353

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Northumberland

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Ford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 10-Mar-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 238034

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

FORD B 6353 NT 93 NW (East side) 10/66 West Lodge and Gateway to Ford Castle GV II Lodge and gateway. 1866 probably by David Bryce for the Marchioness of Waterford. Ashlar with Welsh slate roof. Gothic style.

Lodge single storey. 3 short radiating wings with porch in angle between two of them. Porch has pointed-arched door and sidelights under hoodmould. Date and Lady Waterford's monogram in the gable. Towards road 3 bays; left bay projecting at an angle with a 6-light canted bay window on the gable end; to right two 3-light mullioned and transomed windows. Gabled roof with ridged and roll-moulded coping, kneelers and ridge stack of 4 clustered shafts. Bands of purple and blue slate.

To left screen wall and gatepiers. Castellated octagonal gatepiers flanked by arcades of 20 pointed arches. The rearing horses on the piers added by Lord Joicey after 1907.

Listing NGR: NT9399037492

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NT 93990 37492

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1153904 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2018 at 03:54:02.

End of official listing