- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- SHERBORNE CASTLE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1153912 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2019 at 23:26:28.
- Statutory Address:
- SHERBORNE CASTLE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- West Dorset (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- ST 64914 16404
CASTLETON SHERBORNE CASTLE
Country House in grounds. Late C16 rectangular central block with its angle
turrets, for Sir Walter Raleigh. Enlarged by the addition of the four wings
of 2 storeys with cellars and hexagonal towers in 1625 by Sir John Digby.
Alteration in the C17 and C18. Drastically restored in 1859-60 by G D
Wingfield-Digby. Rubble-stone walls, stuccoed, with freestone dressings.
Lead-covered roofs. Many ashlar stone stacks, both square and elongated
hexagonal, with moulded plinths balustraded and cornices. South front:
four storeys, with mannered gabling over the top-storey, and parapet with
the lower two divided by strings. 3 windows, cross-transomed stone mullion
windows of three, four, three lights, moulded cornices as labels over. Single
light windows each side of top window. South entrance: round-headed doorway,
framed by fluted Roman Doric half-columns supporting an entablature. Stone
achievement of arms of Digby, earl of Bristol. Panelled door. The flanking
hexagonal turrets have restored 2-light mullion-and-transom windows, and are
finished with plain parapets and heraldic beasts or chimney stacks. The north
front, similar to south front, restored doorway has an enriched entablature
with a 4-light window over, in place of the achievement-of-arms. The east
front of central block: 3 storeys with attics, finished with a shaped gable.
Restored mullion-and-transom windows. Flanking turrets each have a square-
headed doorway, north turret door blocked. The added wings are of 2 storeys
and 3 bays, finished with a balustraded parapet. Windows are c. late C17
insertions, square-headed with eaved architraves, console-brackets, entablatures
and pediments. Internally, to the courtyard are C19 mullion-and-transom windows.
Between the wings are balustraded stone screens with central entrance, flanked
by shell-niches, entablature and Digby crest. Interior: Geometrical C17 plaster
ceilings with various devices in the Red Drawing Room, Lady Bristol's Room,
Green Drawing Room, Boudoir. Early C17 panelling, very extensive, behind the
Library bookcases, in the Oak Room (with enclosure). Lady Bristol's Room. C17
and later fireplaces with overmantels, in the Red Drawing Room (Plate 94, (RCHM),
and the Green Drawing Room, both with achievement-of-arms of Digby in gadrooned
panels. In each of the hexagonal bays is a smaller fireplace with Corinthian
side columns supporting an entablature. The Library is lined with C18 Gothic
fittings; bookcases have ogee trefoil-headed arcading on clustered columns, with
circular spandrel niches containing busts. Coved arcaded cornice. The house is
unusual in its original plan, and extended plan.
(RCHM Dorset I, p.66(5))
Listing NGR: ST6491416404
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1974), 66
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 12 Dorset,
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing
Images of England
Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.