HOLY TRINITY CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1154139

Date first listed: 20-Oct-1969

Statutory Address: HOLY TRINITY CHURCH

Map

Ordnance survey map of HOLY TRINITY CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1154139 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 18:02:30.

Location

Statutory Address: HOLY TRINITY CHURCH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Northumberland (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Wallington Demesne

National Grid Reference: NZ 02666 85749

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WALLINGTON DEMESNE CAMBO NZ 0285 18/165 Holy Trinity Church 20.10.69 GV II Parish Church, 1842 by J.&.B. Green, near site of medieval chapel, tower and vestry 1884. Squared tooled-and-margined stone with dressings, slate roof. Broad nave, small polygonal sanctuary, west tower with vestry on north. Simple Gothick style, the tower more elaborate free Gothic. Tower of 3 tall stages with stepped angle buttresses; double doors on south have decorative ironwork and moulded arch with elaborate foliage stops to hoodmould, under string with inscription 'To the glory of God for the benefit of His People A.D. mdccclxxxiv'. 2nd stage has pointed window with hoodmould; belfry openings with Y tracery under string forming hoodmould. Round-arched corbel table carrying stepped moulded parapet with Trevelyan arms on left. West wall of tower has tall lancet to lower stage and clock face above. 4-bay nave; both north and south walls have plinth, sill string and continuous hoodmould over pointed windows. Corbel table carries a projecting eaves course. Stepped buttresses set back at angles and between bays. Coped gables with kneelers, bracelet finial cross on east gable. Similar detail to sanctuary except for blind windows in side walls. Vestry has 2-light mullioned window on north.

Interior: moulded arch to sanctuary and tall triple-chamfered arch to tower; early C19 font. Elaborate barrel roof with embattled wall-plate, enriched purlins, braces springing from heraldic corbels, and carved bosses. 8 C13 sepulchral slabs set into internal walls of tower (6) vestry (2) including unusual incised effigy, partly re-cut in C19; these were found in 1795 when the footings of the old chapel were dug up for building stone.(Hodgson, History of Northumberland, Part II Vol.i, 1828, 282-3).

Listing NGR: NZ0266685749

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 238414

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hodgson, J, 'A History of Northumberland' in A History of Northumberland Part 2, (1828), 282-3

End of official listing