OLD CAME RECTORY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1154279

Date first listed: 26-Jan-1956

Statutory Address: OLD CAME RECTORY

Map

Ordnance survey map of OLD CAME RECTORY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1154279 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Dec-2018 at 05:17:51.

Location

Statutory Address: OLD CAME RECTORY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: West Dorset (District Authority)

Parish: Winterborne Came

National Grid Reference: SY 70900 89380

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SY 78 NW WINTERBORNE CAME

6/111 Old Came Rectory

26.1.56 II

-

Former rectory, now dwelling house. Early C19. Cob and rubble stone walls, rendered and painted. Thatch roof, hipped at both ends. Brick stacks, at left and right hand on ridge, rebuilt C20. Two storeys. 3 windows to front (south west) elevation. Ground floor has French windows with a lozenge pattern of glazing bars. Remainder are 2 light casements also with a lozenge and elongated hexagonal pattern of glazing bars. Front door at centre has a rebuilt architrave with fluted pilasters and plain entablature. Door has two bottom panels and a pattern of marginal glazing bars over C19. Pentice roofed verandah in thatch, originally all wooden supports, now with rubble stone piers at corners and to main entrance, with 3 wood posts between. French windows on south east elevation, same design. House has been extended at rear by one room, 2 storeys, same render and thatch. Interior: central hall with double depth plan of rooms. Doorway in hall has reeded architrave, bossed imposts and fanlight over, early C19. Staircase with stick balusters and mahogany hand rail. The house was the home of William Barnes, scholar, poet, schoolmaster and rector of Winterborne Came from 1862 to 1886. He lies buried in Came Churchyard (q.v.). (R.C.H.M. Dorset II, p.386 (4). Plate 42).

Listing NGR: SY7090089380

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 106005

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1970), 386

End of official listing