CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1154346 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2019 at 14:24:43.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Tewkesbury (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SO 82794 23332
SANDHURST SANDHURST VILLAGE
SO 82 SW
5/125 Church of St. Lawrence
Anglican parish church. C14, rebuilt 1858 by Fulljames and Waller. Nave: blue lias with limestone buttresses. Chancel: random coursed blue lias with limestone buttresses, ashlar limestone facing at east end. Vestry and north aisle: blue lias. Tower: lower two stages blue lias, third stage squared and dressed limestone. Concrete tile and red tile roof. Plan: nave with north aisle and projecting south porch, chancel with vestry on north, west tower. Chancel south wall; two 2-light windows with ogee cusped trefoil heads. Tudor-arched priest's doorway, blocked with limestone and red sandstone. Clamp buttress right of doorway. Three-light east window with 3 cinquefoil roundels at top, scroll-moulded hood with foliate stops. North wall; single C19 light with trefoil head. East wall of vestry; 2-light trefoil-headed window. North wall with clamp buttress left; two-light window with flat-chamfered pointed surround, C19 plank door with decorative strap hinges right within shouldered flat-chamfered surround. North wall of aisle; 4 clamp buttresses, twin gables lit by 2-light pointed windows with quatrefoils. Foliate ivy-leaf boss at junction of gables. Waist- height scroll-moulded string, moulded eaves, cornice with moulded corbels interrupted by beast-like stone rainwater heads. North aisle west end: 2-light window with pointed trefoil head. Nave north wall: 2 tall 2-light windows with pointed trefoil heads. Three stage tower; lower stages C14 with later upper stage, C19 pointed trefoil-headed window to ground floor on north, similar window on west face. First stage lit by small single rectangular C19 lights, second stage lit by tall belfry windows with pointed trefoil heads and carved spandrels within moulded rectangular surrounds. Monument to Elizabeth, wife of Walter (?) Alardiy, died 1649, set at base of tower on south side; limestone, segmental- headed rectangular limestone panel with simple incised face at top, scroll decoration upper right and left. C19 plank door in deep reveal right. Nave south wall; 2-light C19 window with cinquefoil headed lights- in rectangular surround, left of porch. Three 2- light windows right of porch, 2 with trefoil-headed lights, one with cinequefoil-headed lights. Clamp buttress far right with unfinished probably C17 inscription to Elizabeth, wife of Giles Haward. Possible mass dial with incised square outline above. C19 gabled timber porch with flagged floor incorporating stone ledger to William Bell, died 1653, brass plaque on another ledger to Catherine Bell, died 1729. Slightly stepped gable-end coping with upright cross finials. Pyramidal red tile capping to tower. Interior: C20 plank door with decorative strap hinges from porch to nave, within moulded segmental-headed surround with early chip- carved fleur-de-lys at top. Lower part of lintel probably cut away to form segmental-headed opening C19. Four-bay nave arcade with octagonal piers with moulded capitals and naturalistic foliate carving at junction of hoods. C14 pointed arch with double hollow moulding and hood with C19 King and Queen's head stops. C19 pointed chancel arch with ogee and scroll mouldings formerly with two columns either side (now removed) capitals with naturalistic foliate capitals remain, hood with stops with similar carvings. Blocked pointed arch from chancel into vestry, hollow moulding at top with 4-leafed flower decoration. Entrance to vestry right with cinquefoil-headed surround with ogee moulded hood with naturalistic foliate stops. Naturalistic foliate carving around upper part of east window , black marble columns either side with foliate capitals, ogee moulded hood with naturalistic foliate stops. Medieval piscina in form of scalloped indentations forming circle drainage hole at centre, in sill of window right of altar. C19 plank door at east end of aisle within flat-chamfered pointed surround. Scroll-moulded hood with stops in form of blocks (presumably unfinished). Roof of nave: 6 bays with C19 collar truss with 'V' struts and triple-curved tie beam. Chancel roof: 3 bays with C19 hammer beam trusses with scissor bracing at top, 4-leafed flower decoration at ends of each hammer beam. Bracing below hammer beams, suppported on stone corbels decorated with fine naturalistic foliate carving. Floor of nave: red and black tiles forming diaper pattern. Red, black, grey and encaustic tiling in chancel and sanctuary also in diaper pattern. Pews C19 with linenfold panelling at ends. Two ornately carved C18 chairs either side of altar. C17 octagonal carved pulpit at south-east corner of nave, blind arch on each face with raised foliate scrollwork with in each arch of blue background, paired dragons at top, guilloche with rosettes at bottom. C19 wooden lectern in form of eagle on opposite side of nave right of C20 organ. Late C12 circular lead font inside south door decorated with an arcade of eleven compartments, seated figures each with right hand raised and book on knee within arcade alternating with foliate "S" scrolls, foliate frieze at top and bottom, later circular stone base supported by central pillar made up of 3 square columns. Monuments: wooden plaque commemorating Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee (1897) in tower. South wall of nave, towards west end: monument to Rev. Walter de Winton (formerly Wilkins q.v. Wallsworth Hall), died 1851 and Anna his wife; white on black marble with upturned burning tapers right and left, open book and biblical quotation at top. Three C17 slate stone monuments within limestone surrounds below; monument lower left to Hester Gyse, died 1673 and John her husband, died 1698 with moulded lugged frame with foliate scrollwork either side, highlighted in gold, inscription in gold lettering. Similar monument right to Joane Gyse, died 1680 with details of benefaction, inscription formerly in gold lettering. Similar monument right in plain rectangular surround (probably C20) in memory of Mary and Gore Bayley, died 1695 and 1697 and children of William and Mary Bayley. Monuments of north wall opposite; two white on grey marble C19 monuments to members of the Hopkinson family, one C18. C19-stained glass in chancel. C19 stained glass in 3 windows in south wall of nave. C20 stained glass at west end of north aisle. (Do Verey, The Buildings of England, Gloucestershire: The Vale-and the Forest of Dean, 1980).
Listing NGR: SO8279423332
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 2 The Vale and The Forest of Dean, (1970)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing
Images of England
Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.