Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1154458.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2021 at 12:39:44.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Dorset (Unitary Authority)
Ferndown Town
National Grid Reference:
SU 05426 00314


HAMPRESTON SU 00 SE STAPEHILL 6/42 Holy Cross Abbey - II Abbey. House of the early C19, monastic buildings of the 1840's, church of 1847-51 by Charles Hansom and later conventual buildings. A monastery for Cistercian nuns (migrating from Revolutionary France), comprising ranges of domestic and conventual buildings to the south of the church. Walls of brickwork in English and Flemish bonds. Steep slate roof to the church, slate roof to the ranges, with tile roof to the later extensions. The church has two parts in parallel (for lay and monastic use), each with a chancel of two bays and nave of five bays, also a (later) aisle to the north of the lay nave. The general style is Early English; lancets and coupled lancets (beneath quatrefoils) and large east windows to the coupled gables, the west end having a large window at the north side, the south side gable being merged with a slender tower, narrowed at the bells stage and terminating in a tall pyramid roof. Although there is a north porch, the main entrance is in the west gable. Inside, there are two arcades, with octagonal columns with moulded caps, with a screen separating the churches. The ranges encompass the earlier house (occupied 1802) and there is a west elevation of two storeys, with a main entrance in the form of a Gothic porch. The cemetery contains a memorial cross of 1844 by Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin, commemorating the abbess Mde.de Chabannes. RCHM

Listing NGR: SU0542600314


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset II South East, (1970)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Jun 2004
Reference: IOE01/10306/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Trevor Fenwick. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].