CHURCH OF ST PETER
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST PETER
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1154563 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 02:04:09.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST PETER
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Tewkesbury (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
SP 03 NW
DUMBLETON DUMBLETON VILLAGE
Church of St Peter
Anglican parish church. C12, C13, C14 and C15, chancel restored in 1862 as commemorated on the east gable end. Nave: rubble with a restored plinth. Clerestorey, transept, chancel: coursed squared and dressed limestone. Tower: coursed squared and dressed limestone degenerating into rubble towards the top of the second stage; random large finely squared and dressed limestone upper stage. Leaded roof to nave and south aisle: red tile roofing to transept and chancel; stone slate roofing to south porch and vestry, the latter being replaced with artificial stone slate at the time of resurvey - March 1987. Nave with west tower, north transept and south aisle which abuts the east side of the south porch; chancel with vestry on the north abutting transept. Nave south wall: C20 double doors with a Tudor-arched surround with carved spandrels inserted within a C12 opening with engaged jamb shafts with scalloped capitals supporting a chevroned arch with roll-moulded outer arch with later carved head at the apex; tympanum decorated with cat-like head with foliage issuing from its mouth, reputed to represent the devil. C13 lancet with ovolo and casement mouldings and moulded hood with small head stops, to the right. Eroded C12 corbel table each with varying decoration. Remains of similar corbel table and Decorated 2-light window visible where the south wall of the nave remains exposed. Two rectangular C15 two-light windows with trefoil-headed lights and eroded jambs to the north side of the clerestorey. Similar but C19 windows with diamond-leaded panes and sundial with metal gnomon and inscription 'ARCHER' at the top on the north side. C20 double plank doors with Tudor-arched stone lintel with carved spandrels towards the west end of the south wall and set within a tall flat- chamfered pointed arch, now partially blocked. Parapet with moulded string. Gabled early C20 porch with diagonal buttresses and moulded pointed-arched entrance with stopped. hood framing foliate panels. Trefoil-headed 3-light windows to the return walls. South wall of chancel with diagonal and side buttresses: single pointed 3-light window with Perpendicular tracery; two pointed window with quatrefoils to the right; C19 three-light window with Perpendicular style tracery; roll-moulded string course below. Chancel north wall: traces of blocked window; blocked Tudor-arched priest's door with an early-mid C17 two-light window with stilted-headed lights and hollow-chamfered mullions. Early C20 cross-gabled vestry and lean-to porch diagonal buttresses to both parts; single lancet with deep casement-moulded surround containing-square foliate bosses on the east, small plank door with decorative hinges and moulded lintel lower right; 5 reused C12 corbels on the east below a string course; single quatrefoil to each gable. Plank door with decorative hinges within a moulded Tudor-arched surround with hood framing rectangular panels of foliate decoration; reused 2-light late C16-early C17 stone- mullioned window to the north wall. Three-stage tower with C13 lower stages and C15 upper stage. Angle buttresses and side buttresses to the lower stages. Early studded ogee door on the north side. Lancet window above; two lancet windows to the south side; one lancet to the east. C13 corbel table with matching moulded corbels; string course above. Two-light belfry windows to the C15 stage with pierced decorative shuttering; battlemented parapet. Stepped flat and saddleback coping to-the nave, north transept and vestry respectively. Limewashed interior. C15 roof to nave with cambered principal rafters; C19 arch-braced collar beam trusses to the chancel and transept. C20 lean-to roof to the south aisle. Flagged flooring to the nave; coloured and encaustic tiling to the chancel. C13 tower arch of 3 orders the inner dying in at the height of the springing; possibly C14 chancel arch with double hollow-moulded C14 arch to transept; 2- bay south arcade, rebuilt C15, the easternmost arch has a crudely executed segmental-headed head incorporating some C12 stonework with pellet decoration; the other is a crudely executed 'Tudor' arch; early rectangular doorway now partially blocked to the east of the segmental arch; single early C20 arches from the chancel and north transept to the organ chamber. Triangular piscina in the south wall of the south aisle indicating the former presence of an altar. Large probably C15 piscina with roll-moulded trefoil- headed surround in the south wall of the chancel; small probably C14 piscina also with a trefoil head set on the sill of the window immediately to the right. C14 style octagonal stone font with inscription dated 1661 under the west arch of the arcade. Early C20 pews, choir stalls and pulpit with finely carved decoration utilising apple, vine and bursting seed pod motifs. Casing of organ with similar motifs. Two early C18 carved oak chairs in the sanctuary. Altar: C20 wooden table. C19 stained glass window, two further C19 windows to the chancel. Monuments on the north wall of the chancel from left to right: alabaster and marble monument to Thomas Cocks of Cleeve, died 1554, large bust of bearded man in robes with foliate oval surround and a segmental pediment; inscription panel with foliate surround below; white marble monument to Harriet Ancrum, C20 Hoptonwood stone tablet with lettering by Eric Gill; fine painted monument to Sir Charles Percy, son of the Earl of Northumberland and Dorothy his wife, he died 1628, she died 1646, comprising two kneeling figures within a deep round-headed niche flanked by free-standing Corinthian columns; heraldry flanked by miniature obelisks above the frieze. The figures are painted as are the motifs decorating the remainder of the monument with gilded high-lights. Monuments on chancel south wall from left to right: simple rectangular marble monument with moulded surround to Dorothy Cocks, died 1714; simple limestone tablet to Thomas Washbourne, died 1681; fine alabaster and marble monument to Richard Cocks and Dame Susanna his wife, he died 1684, she died 1689. Segmental-headed inscription panel flanked by black columns with Corinthian capitals, weeping putti either side, open segmental pediment decorated with cherubs, putti leaning on hourglasses at the top, plain cartouche at the bottom; two white marble C19 monuments and three brass plaques, one to Edward Holland, died 1875 (q.v. Dumbleton Hall). Two C18 marble monuments to members of the Cocks family in the south aisle. Large grey marble monument to Frances Lady Cocks, died 1723 on the north wall of the nave with a long inscription flanked by pilasters, heraldry and urns at top. (David Verey, The Buildings of England: The Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1980)
Listing NGR: SP0174435780
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Verey, D, The Buildings of England: The Vale and the Forest of Dean, (1980)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing