This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST FABIAN AND ST SEBASTIAN

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST FABIAN AND ST SEBASTIAN

List entry Number: 1154614

Location

CHURCH OF ST FABIAN AND ST SEBASTIAN, HORNING ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: Broadland

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Woodbastwick

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 25-Sep-1962

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 228549

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TG 31 NW WOODBASTWICK HORNING ROAD (Woodbastwick) 1/101 25/9/62 Church of St. Fabian and St. Sebastian.

G.V. II*

Parish Church, medieval, restored by Sir G.G. Scott c.1879. Built of flint with stone dressings and thatched roof. West tower, nave, south porch, north chancel chapel and chancel. Late Perpendicular tower, rebuilt from nave eaves level in C19. Plinth, diagonal buttresses and polygonal stair turret to north. 2 light west window with Perpendicular tracery. C19 rectangular sound holes and 2 light belfry openings. String course with gargoyles and battlemented parapet with crocketed finials. 3 bay nave with 2 light Perpendicular windows and set back buttresses. Perpendicular wave moulded north doorway and door containing some original tracery and boards. Perpendicular south doorway. Back stepped parapet gables. South porch with Perpendicular entrance and 2 light windows with flat heads to north and south. Crocketed ogee niche above doorway containing figure. C15 arch braced roof. Stone parapet gable with classical carved stone kneeler to east. North chancel chapel dated 1877. One window and entrance door, octagonal buttresses and parapet gables. 2 bay chancel with central priest's door and 2 light windows with 'Y' tracery. C19 Decorated 3 light window and parapet gable. Good C19 interior. Barrel roof and crown posts on medieval battlemented tie beams and cill plate. Piscinas in north and south nave walls with cusped ogee heads. Chancel arch with circular shafts. C19 crown posts truss with arch braces from wall posts to tie beam separates chancel and sanctuary. C19 opening and screen to north chancel chapel containing monuments to the Albemarle Cator family. Restored medieval screen with ogee arched Perpendicular tracery 4 medieval benches with poppy-heads.

Listing NGR: TG3324915226

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TG 33249 15226

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1154614 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Sep-2018 at 02:27:17.

End of official listing